I'm A Girl, But I...

I'm A Girl, But I...

Breaking stereotypes about women one step at a time.

24
I'm A Girl, But I...
Twitter

Today, everywhere you turn, there are constant stereotypes and expectations of woman. I have dealt with them my whole life. Every time you log on to social media you see someone making a sexist comment or trying to run their mouths about how a lady should act. Well, for anyone who was wondering...

I am a girl, but I don't wear makeup everyday.

The world needs to find beauty in a natural face. Don't get me wrong, I love wearing makeup, it makes you feel great, but I feel like there is now an expectation for us to wear makeup everyday and we shouldn't have to do that. I see pictures all the time of celebrities who are out without makeup on and everybody is so cruel about it. Women are beautiful with or without makeup, let's learn to see it!

I am a girl, and I will eat as much or as little as I want.

"Girl, don't eat that! Think about the calories! You have to fit into that prom dress, you know!" Yes, yes, I know. And I will fit into that prom dress after having this ONE cookie. There is a hideous body standard that women are supposed to fit into. I see charts all over my Facebook with women's "ideal weight" for their height. There are things like that, that are the reason women are so self-conscious. There is such a pressure from the outside world for woman to look perfect, when in reality everyone already is perfect and they don't need a judgmental troll to tell them otherwise.

I am a girl, but I am not always angry because of PMS.

No, I am not PMSing, you just did something to make me angry, or sad, or generally emotional. Even while we are PMSing you still would have needed to do SOMETHING in order for us to get that way. It is not our fault. Everyone has made PMS sound like its a terrible month long event that happens, so we can blame it for everything! Well, let us brush up on that eighth grade health class because PMS lasts for a week, maybe two. Let's stop making fun of women for something they cannot control.

I am a girl, but I am not a slut.

There is a problem if a woman sleeps with a few guys, she is labeled as a slut, but then men do it and they are considered legends. There is nothing wrong with sexuality, there is nothing wrong with a woman having sex, there is nothing wrong with having multiple partners. I have only had sex with one person, and guess what, that is okay too. Woman should not be judged for this, it's not really anyone else's business except theirs.

I am a girl, but I prefer to watch football instead of One Tree Hill.

Don't make fun of girls for liking sports. I like the trolls on the internet who ask us questions to see if we really know what we're talking about. Honestly, sometimes I may not know the answers. I can't list half the players on the NY Giants, but I can tell you why the ref threw the flag before he even says it, and can thoroughly explain the game so that someone else can understand it. There is nothing wrong with liking what you like. Sure I'll buckle down and binge watch some One Tree Hill sometimes, but that's okay because I should be able to watch what I want without being made into an Internet meme.

I am a girl, but I have bigger dreams than sitting at home to cook and clean.

Let me get this straight, I do not want to hear one more time "Oh you need to learn how to cook and clean now so you can do it for your husband when you get married!" I do not like to clean, I sometimes like to cook, and I will not stay at home and be a housewife. There is nothing wrong with women that do, actually more power to them because I personally cannot, but there should not just be an expectation that women need to stay home. I want to work, I want to make my own money, I want to be self-sufficient, and I do not want to be judged for that.

I am a girl, and I should not be judged for not wanting kids.

Women are not obliged to have kids. I have always wanted them, but I know plenty of people who want nothing to do with them, and that is alright. No one should be shamed for feeling as though they do not want them or should not have them. They get to travel the world and experience great things, have more money, and be the "cool aunt" instead. Don't tell them they SHOULD have kids, because they SHOULD NOT do anything they don't want to do.

I am a girl, and I am wonderful the way I am.

All women are beautiful, they have every right to what they want and don't have to worry about how society or social media views them. We all need to make a more conscious effort to make sure every woman feels beautiful, and that we feel included and loved. We are a society of great men and women who should come together to make everyone feel as special as they are.