I'm Crying For The People Of Charlottesville

"Make America Great Again?" Step aside and we will.
13

I never thought I would live in a time where Nazis freely walked our streets.

Never, in a million years, did I think that Nazis were going to be making the headlines in modern papers.

Never did I think that this nation was going to be divided like it had been in the past.

I never thought I was going to be wrong.

But I was wrong.

The protests and counter-protests and riots and incidences and murders in Charlottesville have me absolutely disgusted in this world. To put it simply, I am terrified. Terrified for the people there now, terrified for the future of this nation, terrified for what this year is going to look like written down in the history books—if we even survive to see it written down.

I am a white, and I know that I am privileged because of that. I've never had someone spit on me because of the pigment of my skin. Never have I been the one to stand out in the crowd because of my skin tone. I have never had to fear for my life because of my race or my ethnicity. I cannot even begin to imagine the horrors that people go through every single day of their lives because they do not have white skin, and it makes me sick just thinking about it.

Reading the news and watching videos about Charlottesville has made me really thinking about a lot of things. Watching news coverage and hearing crowds chant "f*ck the faggots" made me sick. Seeing the video of the car intentionally hitting the crowd left me speechless. Hearing testimonies from the KKK themselves made me want to never leave the house again.

This is not a protest. These are not people exercising their constitutional rights.

This is terrorism. This is murder. This is not okay.

I have become ashamed to be a white American.

I do not care your political beliefs, your opinions on who should marry whom, whether you think that you are better than someone else because you have more or less melanin in your skin; however, the instant that your "opinions" prevent other people from existing and living to see tomorrow, I have a problem. You are a problem.

I can only do so much. I cannot pretend that I will suffer at the hands of these people because I will not. I have white privilege, and as much as I wish that it were not a thing to have, it is. But I can stand by the sides of those who are discriminated against and be their support if they need me. I can speak out and try to spread awareness. Even if I am only able to wage this war with my words on a page, I will do it.

They deserve better. This nation deserves better. The world deserves better. We were not put on this Earth to play God and decide who lives and who dies. I do not know the purpose of life, but I can be damn sure that it is not this.

Hey, Alt-Rights, I hear you. Only straight, white, Christian men should be free to walk this Earth. I've got it easy—I'm white and Christian, I've got two of the boxes checked. But guess what? You do not get to decide who gets to live and who deserves to die. You are not God. You are not a higher power. You are human beings and you are wrong. You are murdering innocent people who you and your ancestors have oppressed since the beginning.

Call me a Liberal Snowflake, an "Anti-American." Tell me I deserve to die because I refuse to lie down in your little box. Yes, please, tell me more how I need to serve my husband and that I am a temple that exists only to heed his every command. I can take it.

You do not get to tell African-Americans that they need to be subservient to you. You do not get to tell Jews that they need to die. You do not get to injure and kill people who are not like you. You have absolutely no right. If you think that you do, you are a Nazi. You are a racist, you are sexist, and you are the very problem that you claim to be so insistent on eradicating from this world. "Make America Great Again?" Step aside and we will.