I May Be A Christian But It's Hard to Keep My Faith At Times

I may be a Christian, but I don't fit into the conservative stereotypes that are associated with my religion.

458

I was born into the Christian religion. Both of my grandparents were priests, and both of my parents went to Christian schools at one point or another in their lives. There are people from my church back home who have known me even before I was born.

But I grew up in a denomination that is liturgically conservative, but socially progressive. We followed the traditions of high churches, but when it came to social issues, we were on the left side of the spectrum.

So here are some things that as a Christian I believe that might be out of the norm for the Church.

I May Be A Christian, But I Think That Evolution Is Real.

Do you really expect me to believe that God just made two people out of the Earth? Even though it's just a theory, evolution is based on real science, something that, believe it or not, is able to coincide with God.

I May Be A Christian, But I Believe That The LGBTQ+ Community Deserves As Much Love As Everyone Else.

C'mon everyone, it's 2019. Do we really still need to show hatred towards other people just because they love differently than you do?

I May Be A Christian, But I Don't Care If You Have A Different Religion Than Me.

I'm not here to tell you that you're condemned to hell if you don't believe in Christianity. I don't know anything beyond this life, so who am I to say what you can and can't believe in?

I May Be A Christian, But I'm Not Waiting Till Marriage To Have Sex.

Growing up, I was never told that it was a sin to wait until marriage to have sex. Sure, I heard from other people that their church thought it was, but mine never said anything about it. My parents just told me to make sure that I was with someone who I loved. Plus, why would God give you a body that is amazing and something you should cherish, and tell you that it's a sin to feel good? Who would do that?

I May Be A Christian, But I Sometimes Question If There Even Is a God.

In the denomination that I grew up in, questions were encouraged. I never felt ashamed to question the Bible, good, or the churches teachings. How do you learn and grow if you don't question what you're told?

I May Be A Christian, But I Don't Think That The Bible Is The Divine Word Of God.

As a kid, it was easy for me to take the Bible literally, but as I grew up, I began to learn that the Bible was never meant to be taken literally, but more as a book full of stories. Some of the stories may be based on true events, but most of the stories have something to learn from them. The Bible was also written by actual people, trying to make sense of the world around them, but in a time that knowledge wasn't as advanced as it is today.

As a Christian in my 20s, it can be hard sometimes to keep my faith. I struggle with it every day and can admit that wholeheartedly. And because of the way I was brought up, I know that's okay.