I'm Becoming My Mom

I'm Becoming My Mom

It's actually not a bad thing.

16
I'm Becoming My Mom
Abigail Fritts

I'm becoming my mom.

I have her eyes. I have her eyebrows. More often than not, people say that I look more like her than my dad. A woman actually mistook me for her once when I was in high school. That's one of the first things people would tell me when they saw me back home.

I'm becoming my mom.

I have her love of a camera. I have her hate to be in front of one. I hate my acne and oversized pores. I would much rather capture the beauty of the moment in front of me. She's the same way.

I'm becoming my mom.

She has a servant's heart. The first thing that she says when someone walks through our door is, "Y'all hungry? Want something to drink?" She always cares for people in her home. Many kids my sister and I are friends with call her mom. She listens to their problems, gives them advice, and helps them in any way they need it. She opens her door and her arms to anyone who needs her. That's an attribute that I have and I'm thankful I have it.

I'm becoming my mom.

I have her love of food. She (eventually) learned how to make some of the best things in the kitchen. (Lasagna and chicken tacos are my favorite) The kitchen stresses her out, but it's also where most of her magic comes from. I'm the same way. I have a love/dread relationship with being in the kitchen. But cooking and baking help me relax, and I get that from her. Including the mutual love of cheesecake.

I'm becoming my mom.

Her relationship with Jesus was crucial for me when I was growing up and beginning on my own relationship with him. If it wasn't for her, I honestly don't think I'd be where I am today with my faith.

I'm becoming my mom.

I'm strong, independent, loving, kind, thoughtful, smart, and funny as hell. She is strong, independent, loving, kind, smart, and funny as hell.

I'm becoming my mom.

And I sure as hell am glad I'm following her footsteps.

I love you, mom.