Illinois Reaches Highest Death Count Since June

As Illinois Reaches Its Highest Death Toll Since June, I Urge You To Stay Home And Wear Your Mask

69 COVID-19 deaths were recorded in a twenty-four-hour period, the highest amount since June of this year.

5794
Photo by Noah on Unsplash

As we are approaching colder weather, we are also approaching a spike in COVID-19 cases throughout the state of Illinois. On October 21, 2020, Illinois recorded its largest daily COVID-19 death toll since June of this year. According to the Illinois Department of Public Health, 69 deaths of people who contracted COVID-19 were recorded within a twenty-four-hour period, raising the state's death toll to 9,345 since the start of the pandemic.

Though many predicted that the number of COVID-19 cases and deaths would be on the rise as we move into the winter months, it is alarming to actually see this playing out.

It is surely depressing to think about spending more time inside when we have been fortunate enough to be able to venture out in the summer months. With businesses reopening and outdoor dining having made accommodations for customers, it is shocking to think that we may very soon be facing a world that looks a lot like it did when the pandemic caused a lockdown in March. Yet, this greatly speaks to the idea that citizens of Illinois may not have been following the proper precautions while engaging in these activities. After all, if our behavior was improving our situation, the COVID-19 death toll would not be rising.

It is unclear as to whether or not Illinois will face another lockdown in these coming months, but according to the CDC, the next six to twelve weeks of this pandemic will be some of the worst our country has seen. With that being said, I urge you to evaluate what is necessary in your weekly routines right now and what is not. If you can avoid going to a crowded bar or restaurant, especially with indoor seating, do so. If there is no reason to be gathering in large groups at indoor venues or homes, do not do it. When you are going to make trips to the grocery store, wear your mask to reduce the spread of COVID-19 — and wear it so that it covers your mouth and nose.

I, along with many of you, am incredibly disappointed to think that the rest of this year will not be like others. But, it is our responsibility to adapt to the circumstances that face us and do our best to protect ourselves and others. Even though it may not be fun or enjoyable, use your better judgment this winter season and do your part in limiting the spread of the COVID-19 virus.