I'll Eat My Avocado Toast And Pay For It, Too!

Millennial's get a bad reputation for being lazy, inconsiderate and entitled. I disagree.

18
New Yorker

Millennials, also known as Generation Y, by definition, are a group of individuals that have reached or will reach adulthood in the early twenty-first century. By reputation and assumption, though, Millennials are a group of spoiled, lazy, entitled brats that expect everything while putting in nothing. The stigma behind the millennial generation is negative. While the baby boomers are rightfully portrayed as the hardworking individuals that they are, the millennials are painted as a completely different generation with different morals, mindsets, and attitudes. It is horribly discouraging to see. No matter where I go, I, a nineteen year old millennial, am faced with judgment based on the negative and insulting associations of what a millennial really is.

I would like to point out that these assumptions and stereotypes are, for the most part, incorrect. Of course, I will not speak on the behalf of my generation, but I want the world to know that not every millennial fits this mold.

The first assumption involving millennials is that we are technology-obsessed brats that can barely hold a face-to-face conversation. It is the twenty-first century, so most people have begun to adapt to the vast technological advances that have been made. I, like this majority, enjoy the convenience, accessibility and quick pace of technology. Instead of trekking to a library to look up a simple fact, I can Google it. Many that look down upon Generation Y believe that this mindset correlates to the belief that libraries, and all older forms of research, are obsolete. In contrast, I believe the opposite. Nothing can compare to physically searching through a book, or reading one for that matter. "Technology-obsessed" has a negative connotation. I would instead use the term "technologically savvy", as we use technology for our benefit. Personally speaking, I actually use technology to improve my face-to-face or voice-to-voice communication skills. I talk more on the phone (or Facetime, a technological advancement that millennials use quite often) more than I text. I, like most people, enjoy the feeling of verbal communication.

Secondly, many somehow think that Millennials are spoiled, entitled and believe that they will never have to work a day in their lives. Again, I cannot speak for everyone, but from personal experience, that is an absolutely ridiculous claim. I have had at least one job ever since I was fifteen years old. Currently, I work a job while holding an internship during my summer home. As a university student, I pour most of my efforts into my studies to ensure that I can have opportunities for jobs in the future. In terms of my work habits, lazy would be the last word I would use to describe it. It is so frustrating to hear anti-millennials bash my generation because of this assumption. My biggest pet peeve, though, is when people come into any of my places of work and praise me for being "unlike my generation". No. That is not the case. All of my friends have some sort of job or internship. I do not know a single person my age that does not work for what he or she has. It drives me crazy that people assume that we inherit our money, or somehow receive it without working. In all actuality, the job market is incredibly competitive for the millennial generation due to the higher standards of education, experience and skills needed. Employers are becoming more selective, so, if you see a millennial that is currently unemployed, do not assume that he or she is lazy. We do not get everything handed to us. We work hard.

Stemming from that, millennials are judged very harshly with how they decide to spend their money. The title of this piece highlights an item of food that has seen many headlines recently: avocado toast, or even just avocado. The expensive and delicious, and now incredibly trendy, food item has recently become a staple at many eateries. In fact, many menu items have been morphed to include it due to its taste, popularity and even health benefits. Somehow, the avocado has been negatively associated with Generation Y due to its slightly high prices. Millennials are judged for indulging in such a food, with some sources even claiming that if this generation keeps splurging on avocado, then they will be unable to afford homes in the future. This makes me laugh, as there are so many things that are wrong with that statement. Yes, owning a home is a very complicated task to accomplish and yes, it is best to have as much money saved toward it as possible. What makes the connection between the avocado and home-owning so absurd is the fact that people overlook the fact that it is very possible to be able to afford an avocado while simultaneously saving for a home in the future. Budgeting, especially in such a harsh economy, is necessary for anyone. Millennials, since they are young and usually just entering the workforce, are typically making less money than more experienced employees. Because of this, they have more limited funds and resources, BUT, they are still able to budget. Just because a millennial buys an avocado, or drinks a Starbucks coffee, or indulges in a manicure, does not mean that he or she is not saving money elsewhere. Everyone is entitled to little treats in life. Do not assume that just because millennials treat themselves in different ways that they do not save money for their futures.

I am personally so sick of the stigma that revolves around being a millennial. I am sick of feeling ashamed of even owning a smartphone when it is actually abnormal to own a non-smartphone in 2017. The reason I feel ashamed is because of how heavily judged I am because of my age. I pay my smartphone bill. I was raised to work for everything I have, which is something that directly contrasts the stereotypical image of a millennial. Gifts are exactly that: gifts. Nothing is handed to me for no reason. I am intelligent with everything I earn. I understand that my future will be filled with price expenses, like owning a house, or a car, or even paying for a wedding.

Millennials, in general, are not what they are made out to be. Instead, we are just fighting to survive in a world that is rapidly changing and growing. I'M A MILLENNIAL AND PROUD OF IT!