I’ll Be Watching 'The Princess Bride' Until The Day I Die

For me to stop watching it would be… inconceivable.

100

The 1987 classic "The Princess Bride" is by far one of the greatest movies of all time. You can watch it a million times and still won’t get tired of it. It’s clever and funny, full of action and romance. "The Princess Bride" is loved by millions, even almost 30 years after it was made. It has it all!

A timeless love story

Wesley and Buttercup! They are the perfect couple. And we all love the kissing book.

A Prince who is also the villain

Disney films up to this film’s release had made us believe that all princes were good and that he is always the one the princess falls for. "The Princess Bride" shows us that even a prince can be evil and isn’t always your true love.

#TeamWesley

Fights to the death that are also comical

One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when Inigo and Wesley fight on the ‘Cliffs of Insanity.’ The ongoing banter and over-the-top action make for an unforgettable scene.

It has an amazing message about never walking away from true love, about abusive relationships, and jealousy

OK, Buttercup and Prince Humperdinck are obviously in an abusive relationship. He lies to her, literally locks her in a tower as a prisoner, and let’s not forget that he pretty much forces her to be with him right from the beginning. Oh, and he tries to kill her true love who is helping her escape. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I’m starting to realize that this is solid Disney Prince behavior (I’m talking to you beast).

We learn many life lessons

We learn to:

And this message about mental health:

This movie also teaches us that pursuing revenge will ultimately leave you without a purpose. Have faith that there will be a happy ending to the story, and that if it isn’t happy, then it’s not the end.

It’s fun for the whole family

Like all PG movies, there are always some things catered to adults, whether it be a dirty joke that your kids won’t understand, or a subliminal message hidden in the film. It’s a timeless tale that everyone can enjoy. With all of the clever jokes and action and much more, this film has it all.

You can watch it a million times and still won’t get tired of it

I have probably watched this movie at least once a month since I was five. I will most likely watch this once a week if I want to. It is my go-to movie when I’m sick. You sometimes miss something when you watch it, and every time I watch it, I find something new to love about it. Sometimes it’s a character’s personality, a one-liner, or just Fred Savage in general.

It can help you with your SAT vocab

Inconceivable! I probably used this word for almost all of my essays since high school.

Memorable Quotes

Every line in this movie is a memorable quote! This entire movie is just one memorable quote!

The best insult in cinematic history

Every time this line comes up my mouth just drops. It’s both elegant and insulting. It is the best insult I have ever heard in my life.

Comedy at its finest

Every scene has some element of comedy, from how they find the secret lair to storming the castle. Even during the most pivotal moments, you cannot help but laugh.

Supporting characters that make the story 110 times better

Inigo’s search for vengeance is so amazing and it makes for a great sub-plot for the movie. Every supporting character has some memorable moment in the film, even if they are only on screen for 30 seconds.

We all want a guy like Wesley

Wesley really does set the bar for true love. He is loyal, smart, funny, and he will do anything to save his princess.

Baby Fred Savage

He is so precious and his character says exactly what the audience is thinking!

‘As You Wish’

Every time this is said, my heart makes an inhuman noise. It’s just so romantic.

I can talk for hours about how amazing this movie is. Everyone needs to watch this movie at least once in their lives. Scratch that; make it 10. You need to watch this movie at least 10 times. It so amazing and it is truly the greatest movie of all time!