If You Treated Others The Way You Treat Yourself

How I put self-hate into perspective.

54
Ava Schuster

Would you have any friends if you spoke to others the way you spoke to yourself?

In my case, I know I would be a friendless, hated person if I tore down others and insulted them the way I do to myself. This is a profound idea that has stopped me in my tracks and pushed me to think differently about how I talk to the only person that'll stick with me my whole life: myself. From the time you are born to the moment you die, you are taken on an elaborate, painful journey of learning to live within your body and feeling comfortable in your own skin. For me, this is a journey full of extreme low moments, and moments of total hopelessness.

To put this idea into perspective, think back to a test or assignment that you did less than your best on, and remember what your state of mind was like. For me, when I struggle in school, I'll mumble to myself that I must be stupid, disappointing or a failure. Maybe you call yourself dumb when you do something as small as dropping your phone, or forgetting something in the car. Now imagine if you made those remarks to the kid sitting next to you in class, "Wow. How could you have been such a moron? You should just drop out now. You studied for hours and these are your results."

Unless you have a naturally evil personality, picturing yourself saying this seriously to another person is most likely very out of character and uncomfortable. The same feeling goes for looking in the mirror, feeling subpar, and then trying to comprehend what would happen if you expressed those thoughts towards someone else. For me, I'd probably be calling another girl ugly and tear her appearance apart until she felt insecure. Undoubtedly, my friend count and reputation would go down.

So, why is it that it's easy to love on others, but not always ourselves? Truly, I believe that self-love comes from within, and can not be bought, but it can certainly be taught and influenced. Some days I wake up, tired of myself as an enemy, and decide that today I won't be cruel and insulting to myself in any form. Unfortunately, I fail most days trying to be a better friend to myself, but that doesn't mean I give up. Your relationship with yourself is among the most important relationships you will ever form and maintain. It is surely a battle, but it is worth it.

You were not skipped over, sold short or thrown away when you were made. You were made to be virtuous, joyous and unique. Surround yourself with those who make you loved, beautiful and happy, so that you never have time to think that you're unlovable, ugly and that you deserve to be sad or isolated. No one deserves to feel this way, and if you ever find yourself thinking this way, put it into the perspective of saying it to someone else, and I guarantee you might just stop yourself.