If You Hide From Your Fears How Will You Conquer Them?

A guide to helping you move forward.

18
MTV

It all just started out as "I can apply and decide later." Little did I know that...

A. I was accepted almost immediately.

B. Studying abroad was more affordable than my U.S. university.

C. I had finished all my required classes so I would be able take whatever courses I would like to.

D. I would be leaving in 122 days to this date.

Picking a location was extremely difficult, I have never left the continent. I have traveled all over the United States and have been to Canada countless times, but never anywhere else. Growing up in a wealthy area as a child, my peers have gone on extravagant vacations annually. My family went on road trips, we never went to those all-inclusive resorts, or a month-long vacation to Europe. It was my time to study abroad and I would be financing almost the entire journey.

After conducting research and talking with my friends and family that have circled the globe, they went on and on about how beautiful Italy was because of the architecture, the people, the atmosphere and, of course, the food! I finally decided on studying abroad in Italy. Shortly after starting the application some scary circumstances occurred making me second guess my decision.

My dear family friends nephew went through a similar program as I have been looking into and went missing in less than a day of being in Rome. He was later found dead in a river. My prayers are still with his family and this really scared me and my family. I almost completely dropped out of the application because of these series of events.

Then I gave it some time and thought to myself: this was a very devastating event, but this could happen to anyone. I went through with the application and spoke with global studies representatives on how safe the university abroad would be, the crime rate, and how safe my living facility would be. A few short weeks later I was accepted I will depart for Italy at the end of January.

Who knows? Maybe I will find my international celebrity twin just like "Lizzie McGuire?"