If You Ever Find Yourself In London...

If You Ever Find Yourself In London...

Ten places to go and things to do in the heart of the city...

87
If You Ever Find Yourself In London...
STGiles

The afternoon of January 1, 2017, I was sitting on an airplane, surrounded by friends, watching out the window as we took off from the ground and ascended into the sky. I had been in love with the city of London for as long as I could remember, and I still couldn't believe that I was going to have the opportunity to study in the heart of the city for two weeks. It didn't sink in when we landed after an 8 hour flight. It didn't sink in as we drove on a large bus to the hotel. And it still didn't even sink in as I was wandering the city that first day. Everything was so rushed, that I don't even think it set in the whole time I was there. I was rushing from this class, to that tour, to this pub, or to that building. I barely had time to breathe, and quite honestly I was exhausted by the end of the trip, almost excited to come home just to sleep for days.

Now, I've been back on American soil for two weeks. I'm back on my college campus, and classes are just getting started. I finally have the chance to sit back and think about everything that I experienced. The whole time I was there was such a whirlwind, and now back in boring Illinois, I think that everything has finally sunk in. I had been to Europe once before, on another class trip to Vienna, Austria. While I loved every second of that trip, I was only there for a week. Being in London for two weeks gave me more of a feel of actually living in the city, and quite honestly, I fell in love with every aspect of the city. However, like anywhere, I had my favorite spots of the city, and I'm here to share them with you.

1. St. Paul's Cathedral

Honestly, this was my favorite place I went to, and would recommend to anyone visiting the city. The entire cathedral is stunning to look at, but the best part is climbing the dome. You are taken through different staircases to get to three different galleries, one inside and two outside. All together, this adds up to 528 steps, but the views are breathtaking. If you have the ability to climb, put on your walking boots and get going!

2. Tower of London

Okay girls, you need to come here because it is the home of the Crown Jewels. Stunning to look at, and quite honestly they took my breath away. But that's not the only reason to visit the Tower. Unique tour guides take you throughout the grounds and teach you about the past in a creative way that makes learning history actually fun.

3. Scarlet's Covent Garden

One of my favorite bars in the city because it's unique and fun. Think Central Perk from Friends, only in bar form. The only downside is it can be a bit pricey, but if you want to sit with a group of friends and enjoy a delicious drink, I think that this is your place!

4. Camden Market

Going on down to Camden town! Honestly, I came to that market 4 different times and always enjoyed myself. There are endless rows of the cutest things, from jewelry, to candles, to tea. Not to mention the food area, with some of the best foods and desserts I had in the city. It's fun to wander around with friends, and is definitely a great place to go for gifts.

5. London Dungeon

I never even heard of this place before I went to it. Located right by the London Eye, the Dungeon is one spooky yet interesting place. Different actors take you on a journey through London's past, complete with Sweeney Todd and Jack the Ripper. It's funny, creepy, and educational. You also get to take a boat ride, and even a drop ride. Very fun!

6. Trafalgar Square

Granted, there isn't really anything to do here. But it is a historic place that you should visit when you're in the city. If it's a nice day, you can simply sit by the fountain and people watch. It's a nice place to just sit and relax, and really take in the beauty of the city around you.

7. Buckingham Palace

You can't go to London and not go see Buckingham Palace, that's probably a sin honestly. (Just kidding). But if you do go to the Palace, go to watch the changing of the guard. It's an interesting and historic ceremony that helps you appreciate tradition. It's only a little over an hour long as well, so you should definitely set time aside for this.

8. The Monument

The Monument used to be the tallest point in London (granted, this was in the 17th Century). It was built to commemorate the great fire of London in 1666, and is just a simple structure towering into the sky. The cool thing is, you can walk up it! Again, if you're able to climb, then it's 100% worth it to climb the 311 steps to the top. More breathtaking views await, you just have to get past the narrow spiral staircase first.

9. Madame Tussauds

Yes, you can find these wax museums all over the world now. But this was the original museum, complete with some of the best pieces. It's insanely creepy how realistic these figures are, and it's a fun way to admire art when you can take photos with your favorite celebrities. You can even pose by the Royal family, which results in amazing photos.

10. Camden Pub Crawl

Ending this list with something fun, so I'm here to say that if you're ever in the city you should try a Camden Pub Crawl. Prices vary, but you can book a spot online for 10 or 15 pounds. This price gets you free entry to 5 different bars, a free shot at each place, and special drink deals. It's fun as well, because you can meet people from not only London, but all over Great Britain and even some other countries! If you want a wild night out on the town, grab some friends and get ready for a night you'll never remember with the people you'll never forget (: