If You Could Tell Your Children Just One Thing...

What would it be?

132
Madison Jones

Growing up, and even today, my parents constantly give me advice. They are the people I seek it from the most, because I admire the way that they live their lives. I am beyond thankful for all of the advice, encouragement, and words of wisdom that my parents have provided me with over the years. You guys are truly amazing.

Often times I wonder about who my kids will grow up to be, and I’m sure many others wonder the same type of things. Will they be smart? Will they have a passion? Will they help others? Will they make a difference? Will they be confident? Will they take care of themselves? Will they love others?

I hope that my future children become everything they desire to be, and never stop pushing themselves to become the best person that they can possibly become.

Advice to children isn’t easy. If any of you have ever worked around kids or been in their presence, it can be tough to communicate with them, or let’s be honest, even understand them half of the time.

I am beyond thankful for all of the advice, encouragement, and words of wisdom that my parents have provided me with over the years. You guys are truly amazing.

So, I asked some people what is one thing/advice they want their children, or future children, to know, and the responses are amazing. Maybe we should try and follow some of this advice, even as adults.

“Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people” Ephesians 6:7. “I would tell them to do their best work in whatever they do. Its not worth doing anything if its not your best work.” – Haley, 23

“Don’t let anybody tell you that you can’t do something.” – Matthew, 19

“Always trust your gut instinct and God.” – Taylor, 22

“Make sure to bathe. Nobody likes a smelly kid. Oh, and always be kind. You may be the only kindness they know.” – Quinn, 22

“Nothing good ever happens after midnight.” – Preston, 22

“You can’t find happiness in anyone else. That comes from God & His son, and yourself. Don’t rely on anyone or anything to give you happiness. Do everything that makes you happy and joyful!” – Emily, 21

“Don’t be soft.” – Lincoln, 22

“Do whatever your heart tells you to do, and whatever makes you happy.” – Jenna, 21

“In everything you say and do, make sure you’re giving all the glory to God.” – Erik, 21

“Always choose your own happiness and never take the easy way out.” – Carey, 22

“Always stay humble.” – Logan, 22

“If you pick your nose in public, your bound to be the “weird” one. Don’t do it.” – Cindy, 26

"Have a good work ethic in all that you do. It will get you a long way." - Brian, 22

“Don’t worry, be happy. There is no need to obsess over the little things.” – Holly, 21

"No matter what, always do what you love, and love what you do." - Sarah, 22

"Hold the door for others, say please and thank you. Don't steal, cheat or lie. Don't expect a free ride from anyone, don't hold grudges. Know the difference between sleeping with someone and sleeping with someone you LOVE! I love you isn't a pick up line. Don't take for granted the love this life gives you, and when you get where you're going, don't forget to turn back around and help the next one in line!" - Jeff, 53

“Be kind to others because you never know what is going on in their lives, always put God first, and treat others how you want to be treated.” – Sherri, 50

“Never fear failure. Always try your best. If you have a passion for anything, no matter what, make sure you attack it head on.” – John Michael, 21

“Don’t be afraid to branch out and try new things.” - Macy, 21

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." - Brian, 49

"There are consequences to every decision you make. Be sure you can deal with that consequence BEFORE you make the decision. Also, beware of your surroundings, not just for safety, but to also be considerate of the people around you." - Kendra, 41

"Life is going to be full of ups and downs. During the "ups", praise God for bringing you the joys and happiness into your life. In the "down" times, pray to God for wisdom and guidance and He will lead you through it." - Summer, 24

"Don't let what others say about you define you." - Maddie, 20

"Follow your dreams and don't listen to the "dream stealers". It is better to chase your dreams and fail, then to not chase them at all and wonder what could have been." - Jerry, 22

"In the end, always laugh. And do not lose this strange habit of having faith in life." - Jessica, 20

"Always remember that God loves you." - T.J, 24

"Be yourself, but also be very cautious about the people you surround yourself with." - Emily, 19

"Don't be afraid to be who you are. Be your best self, not what you think others want you to be." - Bethany, 20

"Always shake hands with people when introducing yourself." - Jimmy, 32

"Give food to the homeless person you see on the street. Their smile will make it so worth it." - David, 27

"Fear is good. That means you're doing something outside of your comfort zone. Don't back away from it, but instead, pray for protection, and then go face that fear." - Andrew, 30

"Be yourself! It is so important to be who God made you to be. Be weird, be quirky, or be whoever! Don't try and be someone that you aren't." - Nicole, 23

If I could tell my children one thing (well more than one thing), it would be to love hard and deep. Don’t stress over the past- it is done and you can’t change it, no matter how much you want to. If you worry too much, you’ll only damage your future. And whatever you do, learn from your mistakes, and give everything your all, all of the time.

So think about it- what is one thing that you feel is truly important for your children, or future children to know? What is one piece of advice or one comment you want your child to hang on to and follow as they grow up? Pretty intense, I know. But maybe the advice we would give our own children, is advice we should follow and try and live by.

Kids are great. Especially when they have great advice to live by!