If Twitter Made Up Your Mind For You

If Twitter Made Up Your Mind For You

"You're too busy scrolling through other people's lives that you're forgetting to live your own." -Christine Caine

16
If Twitter Made Up Your Mind For You

Well, It's been awhile since i've blogged, but I think maybe God wanted me silent for a bit to clear some things out of the way and make some space for some challenges and ultimately, a better understanding of Himself.

You may be a little confused about my headline, but it's hauntingly happening in many lives today. So, one of the things I believed God cleared out of the way? Twitter. Haha, I know. Not a big deal, right? I didn't think so either. But THEN I tried to talk myself into deleting my account and guess who would find herself re-downloading the app an hour later?

Why is this such a big deal? Here's why:

Because I wasn't only opening twitter while I was supposed to be setting aside time for Jesus and I, but I was also allowing twitter itself to make up my mind for me. Let me explain myself. Before I could even think about what my opinions were about something as simple as a new movie, I was on twitter reading what everyone else had tweeted and scrolling through memes that had been created less than two seconds after the movie had just come out. I allowed what everyone else thought, and which meme I laughed at the most, to become my opinion on what i'd just seen. But what happens when it's not a movie that you're allowing others to decide your thoughts on anymore? What happens when it's something even more critical? What if your views on important things change because you forgot to ask yourself what you believe, before you hopped on twitter and read everyone else's thoughts about it? What happens when you get into an argument with someone and instead of meeting them face to face and straightening things out, you type their name in twitter's search bar and read all of their "not so secret" thoughts about the way you made them feel? Are you still gonna wanna talk to them and make things right?

There comes a time when you have to sit down and ask yourself, how much power am I giving the people around me if i'm allowing their quick thoughts to determine my beliefs, my mood, and overall, my character? And in all honesty, do you think the people that you follow are people that you truly wanna be like? If not, then why are you constantly refreshing twitter to read their thoughts rather than going to God's word and asking Him for His? You're trading gold for dirt on the daily if you are allowing other's thoughts to shape your life more than you're allowing God's. He hung the stars, but you care more about the opinion of someone who won a couple grammys for rapping about stacks of paper?

For a long time i'd make a twitter and i'd promise myself I was ONLY going to follow Godly men and women, who tweet about encouraging things and proclaim His name every chance they get! And maybe that's possible for you, but for me, the temptation to check up on people was always there. And the want I had to follow other inspiring people (although my reasoning may have only been for good in the beginning) caused me to idolize them in my heart and allow their thoughts to shape mine more than I allowed God's.

Is it worth it? If it is keeping you from being more like Christ, is it really truly worth it? Maybe this isn't a problem for you at all and twitter doesn't have much pull on the things you think or the way you talk to God, but I think it's wise it to at least ask yourself these questions. Even if it's simply to make sure that you can still make up your own mind, without the help of an app.

Christine Caine says "We're too busy scrolling through everyone else's life that we're gonna miss ours."

She's so right. Social media has a way of sucking us in and never letting go until we pull ourselves free, and the sad thing is that most of us never will. Those are probably the people you see getting into arguments about politics online. Lets be honest. Don't be one of those people. Don't allow other's beliefs to infuriate you. Try learning about them, and then maybe they will want to learn about yours too.

Question things. But mostly, question who you're allowing to shape your answers. Don't let a tweet ruin your day, and don't let one make up your mind either.