If I Had One More Conversation With My Dad

Things I would tell my dad if he was still here.

52
Ashley O'Donnell

I have your sense of humor.

I am sure my goofiness was apparent at a younger age, but you wouldn’t believe it now. I have a love for corny jokes and puns just like you, and everything is funny at the worst possible time. You taught me how humor can get you through life.

I remember how hard you tried.

I know that everyone makes mistakes, and that everyone has their flaws. We had rough days, scarring days, and some pretty tough times. Yeah, I remember those. I also remember how hard you tried. No matter what was happening, and even if I didn't see you as much as I would have liked, you always did what you could to take care of me. If you were still here, I would tell you just how much I love you.

You will never approve of any man in my life.

You taught me that boys had cooties, and to stay away from them. One day when I get married, I will make sure that you would agree to walking me down the aisle to wed that man. Don’t worry though, my standards are probably as high as yours. No guy will ever replace the most important man in my life, and that’s you.

You could always make me happy.

The sound of you yelling my name in the mornings still rings clear in my mind. You would yell “Ashley!” and soon enough, I would come running into your room to jump on your bed with you. Whether it was that, or watching wrestling and football together, I was always happy. One of my happiest days was spent with you, singing songs in the car that had the automatic seatbelts I was so amazed by. We clapped along to “I’m bringing home a baby bumblebee”. You made me happy when you’d sing your favorite country songs to me. You made me happiest when I ran into your arms for a bear hug and when you kissed my head goodnight.

I miss you everyday.

No matter how many days, months, or years it has been, I will always miss you the same. I miss you the most when I’m driving listening to some of your favorite songs and I glance at your picture hanging from my rear-view mirror. I miss you when I hear my friends talking about their dads. I miss you the most when I dream about you, and wake up to realize that it wasn’t even real. I miss you the most when I tell people about the kind of man you were.

My goal is to make you proud.

I have reached many milestones without you here. If it was my choice, you would be cheering me on every step of the way. I wish you could have been in the stands at my high school basketball games and in the crowd when I graduated. I wish I could tell you about all the things I am doing and all that I plan to accomplish. When all is said and done, I hope I make you proud.