If Characters From "The Clique" Novels Were Sorority Officers

The only thing harder than getting in is staying in...

301

If you're anywhere from 18-24, you likely were obsessed with Lisi Harrison's Clique novels as a young person. The lengthy series, made up of more than 14 novels and several 'spinoff' series, features iconic characters that were so over the top but somehow so representative of the teenage girl experience. As with any large group of young women, there was a plethora of drama and conflict. I've seen this same type of drama in my own experience as a member of an organization made up of a large group of women: my sorority. I can't help but think that if Lisi Harrison wrote a follow-up series about Massie, Claire, Dylan, Kristen, and Alicia's college experiences, these women would no doubt help to run their sorority's chapters, just as they dominated Octavian Country Day School.

Massie Block: President

This is probably the most obvious placement. Throughout the series, Massie serves as the leader of the clique; even when Claire makes peace with the other girls and begins to gain status, Massie maintains her control. She often delivers the "state of the union" of Octavian Country Day School and of her own friend group, and it seems a natural transition to handle the proceedings of her sorority chapter.

Alicia Rivera: Vice President

Alicia also maintains a similar role within her friend group throughout the series: the beta to Massie's alpha. She arguably has as much power at OCDS as Massie, but never quite surpasses Massie's strength. She would make the perfect Vice President by assisting the President while having the freedom to do some decision-making of her own.

Kristen Gregory: Vice President of Scholarship

Kristen keeps the fact that she attends Octavian Country Day School on a scholarship hidden from her friends, until it is revealed partway through the series. OCDS seems like a bougie school, so it is undoubtedly expensive. To earn a scholarship as hefty as the one Kristen possesses, she must have some serious academic skill and study tips. Hence, VP of Scholarship.

Claire Lyons: Risk Manager

Not to say that all risk managers are goody-goodies (I spent one year of my sorority experience as our risk manager and it was incredibly rewarding), but Claire seems the type to keep risk in check. Especially at the beginning of the series, when she first meets the other girls, Claire is a rule-follower. Even as her character develops in other ways, she remains the responsible one. This one just seems to fit.

Dylan Marvil: New Member Educator

If any of the characters can be said to be "real," I think it's Dylan. She would make a good role model for new members because, despite her issues with body image, she is fiercely loyal to her friends.

Layne Abely: Panhellenic Delegate

Layne is a versatile character who first befriends Claire, and, despite the torment from Massie's clique, she eventually gains the respect of members of the clique. Despite her quirks, she is an extremely likable character. Her friendly personality and slight edge affords her the ability to get along well with all different types of people, just as a Panhellenic delegate must communicate with every other sorority on campus.

Skye Hamilton: Social Chair

Skye appears in a couple novels in the series. She is portayed as incredibly popular (maybe even more so than Massie, though Massie wouldn't agree). She has friends and even boyfriends at Briarwood Academy, the brother school to OCD. On top of all of that, she is also a dancer who studies at a local dance academy. She has the network needed to plan social events with other organizations on campus.

All that being said, these characters act a little too catty towards each other to successfully lead a group meant to empower women. Before becoming officers, they would need a massive attitude check, and it would probably be in their best interest to come up with a motto to replace "the only thing harder than getting in is staying in."