Find Your Identity In God, Not Guys

Find Your Identity In God, Not Guys

You don't need a guy to define your life, or anyone for that matter!

519
Find Your Identity In God, Not Guys
Hannah Spurr

As a student here at Texas A&M, I sometimes feel like I'm more observant than I should be of other people and their situations. One of the common things I notice is girls going crazy over guys. I understand the occasional crush (or even fling for that matter), but this is different. I watch girl after girl go through guy after guy, seeking attention and love and affection, most of the times through sexual means, and it never works out in the end.

As a person who has been single for the entirety of her life, I've never really understood the need for a boyfriend. Sure, I would like one, but I don't need one to survive. But a lot of other people seem to need a boyfriend to get out of bed each morning. It breaks my heart. However, there is someone I know who can offer you everything you're looking for in a boyfriend, who won't break your heart. Ever. Are you interested??

Good. His name is Jesus. Here's why you should be chasing Him, not guys!

He will always love you.

Our most natural human desire is the desire to be loved. We seek love from our parents, our friends, even people we don't know. We crave attention and affection. The urge to seek love is also normal. We are structured to search for love. However, a lot of people get confused and search for love in all the wrong places. They seek love through men, money, sex, drugs, alcohol, you name it. I have watched girls go home with a different guy, every night, just so she feels like she's cared for. For even just a little while.

But what if I told you there was a guy who would always love you? Someone who will never leave you, or hurt you? Someone who can be your hero. His name is Jesus.

Now I know you may be thinking that I'm crazy and that there is no proof of His love for you. Jesus actually wrote us a love letter, the Bible, which was scribed through a few chosen people who could tell His love for you. We all love a good love letter, especially long ones. Here are some examples of God's love for you:

"I have loved you with an everlasting love;
I have drawn you with unfailing kindness." - Jeremiah 31:3

"Cast all your anxiety on Him who cares for you." - 1 Peter 5:7

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. We love because He first loved us." - 1 John 4:18-19

He will always be with you.

We all long for a boyfriend who always wants to be with us. We want to be around them all the time, and do everything with them!! We crave and long for that attention, where someone wants to spend lengths of time with us. I don't know why, but it's meaningful. But oftentimes, we find ourselves in dead-end relationships where we're the main source of holding everything together, planning every outing, and continually being the one who asks to hang out.

It comes across as desperate, and most guys don't like it. Men have an innate need to chase girls. They want to be the one to seek you out and to ask you out. Sometimes they need a little hint, but if you're the only one who's ever initiating, he probably isn't that interested. However, Jesus doesn't care how often you call. He doesn't care how much time you spend with him, the more the better! Jesus loves being with you! Here are some examples of Him never leaving your side:

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." - Joshua 1:9

"And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20

"Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will never leave you or forsake you." - Deuteronomy 31:6

He will never forsake you.

What does forsake really even mean anyway? God uses this word a lot in the Bible, but do you really know what it means? The best definition for the word is abandon. How many of you have been abandoned by a boy? Cheated on? Ghosted by? Left behind? I certainly have. I can tell you, first hand, that it's one of the worst feelings in the world. I've dealt with all three, up close and personal. And it hurts. There is nothing wrong with being hurt over what has happened to you. But then I realized I had a God who loved me 10 million times more. A God who promises me that He will never leave me, cheat on me, ghost me, leave me behind. No, He remains steadfast. Here are some examples of God remaining true to you:

"It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed." - Deuteronomy 31:8

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Behold, all who are incensed against you shall be put to shame and confounded; those who strive against you shall be as nothing and shall perish. You shall seek those who contend with you, but you shall not find them; those who war against you shall be as nothing at all. For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, "Fear not, I am the one who helps you." - Isaiah 41:10

"Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, I will give people in exchange for you, nations in exchange for your life. Do not be afraid, for I am with you." - Isaiah 43:4-5

He will protect you, strengthen you, and build you.

In a relationship, the man is usually the protector. We as girls long for someone to fortify us, and protect us from harm. We also yearn for someone who will make us stronger (hopefully in faith), and someone who builds us up to feel better about who we are as individuals. Some of these traits can go both ways, where the girl can also build up the boy, where iron sharpens iron. However, often times, we can get torn down by a significant other, where they are passive, and don't take the time to care about us, or they are abusive, where they purposely hurt you to make you feel lesser about yourself.

In either situation, we tend to make excuses for our significant other, such as "Oh he'll take me out someday" or "The abuse isn't that bad". Stop. Stop making excuses. Start making changes. Trust in Jesus who loves you more than anyone else in the whole wide world. Here are some examples of Jesus and how He protects you and builds you:

"But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God,
slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness." - Psalm 86:15

"But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that the message might be preached fully through me, and that all the Gentiles might hear. Also, I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom. To Him be glory forever and ever. Amen!" - 2 Timothy 4:17-18

"Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name." Psalm 91:14

So, instead of chasing after boys, chase after God, who loves you more than anyone else could. He's the best you could ever have.

Always,

HMS