From Dive Bars to Amphitheaters: Iconic New Jersey Music Venues

Learn about some of the most well known spots to catch your favorite artists in The Garden State.

46
Anthony Bubel

As someone who lives in Central New Jersey, finding a spot to see a live show is never really a challenge. I live a little over an hour away from both New York City and Philadelphia, which is where I tend to see most concerts since that’s where most are held. However, on the off chance they roll through Jersey, here are a few of the legendary venues they will be stopping in.

The Stone Pony

Probably the most iconic venue in New Jersey, and one of the most well known in America. The Stone Pony is located in Asbury Park, which already conjures up thoughts about Bruce Springsteen and his legacy in New Jersey. Springsteen, along with many other distinguished musicians, started their music careers in this small, seaside bar. It first opened in 1973 and has since housed some of the world’s most renowned acts and local bands alike. The walls are littered with memorabilia, tour posters, and signed guitars. During the summer, The Stone Pony will open up an additional, larger outdoor stage that can be enjoyed even from the boardwalk, which is only a few feet away. I’ve only attended a couple shows here, one of them being Marina and the Diamonds in 2011. If you didn’t know the venue’s history, it would seem like a little dive bar on the boardwalk that’s seen better days. But it’s the Pony’s history that makes it what it is today and staple for most up and coming musicians to play.

The Wellmont Theater

The Wellmont is a beautifully ornate theater that opened in the 20’s. Through the years, the venue has been host to live entertainment and was even a movie theater in its early stages. It’s even the venue where the annual Montclair Film Festival is held. In the past few years, The Wellmont went through heavy renovations and was purchased by Live Nation. Now it’s a fundamental visit for many bands. With lots to do in the area, you can’t ever go wrong with a ticket to a show at the Wellmont. The only show I’ve attended at this venue was David Byrne and St. Vincent in 2013. It was a very memorable night and unique show. The eccentric music seemed to fit well with the venue.

Count Basie Theater

This is likely my most visited venue in New Jersey. Located in one of my favorite spots, Red Bank, Count Basie Theater hosts musicians, musicals, comedians, and so much more. It’s currently named after the late jazz musician, William “Count” Basie; however it opened in 1926 as the Carlton Theater. With a capacity around 1,500 guests, this theater is the perfect size for any event. I’ve seen all kinds of live entertainment here, including some mandatory high school trips. I try to attend The Nutcracker every year around Christmas. The theater is decorated and the town is lit up with Christmas lights, which makes for a very special evening. Like I said, not many musicians make stops in New Jersey, however, my most memorable experience here would have to be Morrissey in 2013. It was an unreal night and something I’ll always treasure.

The State Theater

The State Theater is located in New Brunswick, NJ, which is home to Rutgers University. This gorgeous theater was built in 1921 for both movies and live entertainment. Today, the venue is host to many musicians and comedic acts along with plays and musicals. Again, there are lots of things to do in this area and you are also just a quick train ride away from New York City. I’ve only attending one show here, which was a group of musicians called Classic Albums Live. They take an album, note for note, and play it in full. I saw them play The Beatles’ White Album at this venue. I highly recommend attending one of their shows, as this was another memorable night of live music.

PNC Bank Arts Center

This will be the odd ball in the mix. This isn’t a historic theater or small dive bar. Located in Holmdel, NJ, The Arts Center is a 17,500 capacity amphitheater that seen from above can almost look like a spaceship. It will probably always be one of my favorite venues. The Arts Center is seasonal, which keeps it open from May through September. Catch it on the right day weather-wise with one of your favorite bands, and you’ve got a perfect night ahead of you. However, over the past few years this venue’s bill fell short. In fact, I haven’t been to the arena in about 11 years. I attended Lollapalooza here when it was still a traveling festival. I’ve also seen Coldplay here, in the early years. It used to be “the” stop for rock bands. Now it is home to mostly country and generic pop music. Hopefully someday soon it will return to its glory days.

There are still so many venues I have yet to mention or even attend in New Jersey. But that’s the thing about New Jersey; you’re always going to find some dive bar or little pocket in a small town where great music is being performed. Whether it’s the fantastic locals or the renowned legends, Jersey’s music venues are always going to produce great live entertainment.