Iconic Foods You Need To Try This Summer In NYC

Try What Instagram Has Been Showing You

45

New York City is commonly known as the "melting pot" because of the diversity of the citizens who live within. With the diversity of citizens, comes the diversity of food. You can go to a mexican restaurant, McDonalds, a Chinese restaurant, a French creperie, and an Italian fish market all on the same block. The most iconic foods in NYC come from the combination of two different foods from two different countries that are fused together in a way that makes them so unique and eye-catching that people must try it.

1. Ramen Burger from Smorgasburg

The Ramen Burger is a combination of a burger and ramen. The flavorful patty is served between a chewy, yet sturdy noodle bun that is smeared with a sauce that brings out the ramen flavor.

2. Cronut from Dominque Ansel Bakery

The delicious hybrid of a croissant and donut has led to a sweet, flaky treat that all will love. The creator, Dominque Ansel, comes up with fancy flavors that change every month.

3. Cereal Milk from Momofuku Milk Bar

This sweet treat tastes exactly like cereal and milk. The soft serve ice cream mimics the milk that you drink from the bowl after you have eaten all the cereal. A crunchy cereal is then put around the rim of the cup to be the cereal in the bowl.

4. Green Shakshuka from Jack’s Wife Freda

Two eggs covered with a green tangy sauce that is so addicting, you will have to eat the whole bowl. I highly recommend you soak the bread in the sauce, and your mouth will thank you.

5. Frozen Hot Chocolate from Serendipity 3

The frozen hot chocolates are enormous and any chocolate-lovers dream. This mixture tastes similar to a chocolate frappuccino without the coffee flavor and is topped with a mountain of frothy whipped cream and shavings of chocolate. Perfect for a hot summer day, but still delicious in the freezing winter snow storms.

6. Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie from Levain Bakery

Levain's cookies are well known due to the ginormous size of these decadent desserts. The outside is slightly crunchy and the inside is filled with gooey chocolate and a soft middle.

7. Olive Oil Gelato from OTTO Pizzeria

OTTOs Pizzeria had delicious and rather inexpensive Italian food, however their gelato is completely out of this world. The olive oil gelato is especially memorable for the absurd flavor bursts in your mouth, making you crave more,

8. Any Yogurt from Chobani SoHo

In Soho, the Chobani store is a must-try. The yogurt is smoother than the store bought packages and the toppings are endless. You can go for a sweet yogurt option or a savory yogurt creation. This mouth-water treat looks delicious and is a rather healthy snack to keep you going throughout the day.

9. Pastrami Sandwich from Katz’s Delicatessen

Tender meat. Fresh bread. Hands down the best pastrami sandwich around. The substantial sandwich is over-stuffed with the smoky meat that melts in your mouth, giving you your moneys worth. The sandwich is served with crispy, crunchy pickles that go perfectly with the sandwich.

10. Salty Pimp from Big Gay Ice Cream

The Salty Pimp is silky vanilla ice cream in a cone topped with tasty dulce de leche, sprinkled with sea salt and then dipped in chocolate. An absolutely delicious ice cream sundae with the perfect ratio of toppings so you can enjoy all the flavors.

11. Pork Buns from Momofuku Noodle Bar

The basic combination of steamed buns, roasted pork belly, hoisin, quick-cured cucumbers, scallions and maybe a little Sriracha if you want. However, the chefs at Momofuku Noodle Bar put their own spin on the original pork bun, making people crave this specific pork bun.

12. Lobster Roll from Red Hook Lobster Pound

This lobster joint offers both Maine style lobster rolls and Connecticut style lobster rolls. Both are delicious, with sweet, juicy lobster meat pouring out of the warm, buttery bun. You should definitely get both rolls there. Trust me, you will not regret it.

13. Sushi Burrito from Pokéworks

The sushi burrito has become more and more popular as Pokéworks has been gaining more and more press. It is similar in style to Chipotle, but with sushi options. You get white rice and then stuff it with all the toppings your heart desires. These burritos are similar to large sushi rolls, but the different topping combinations give the burritos better, more unique flavors.

14. Milkshake from Black Tap Craft Burgers & Beer

These shakes are constantly photographed because they look like a work of art. They are enormous, starting with a yummy ice cream shake, topped with whipped cream and then decorated with other sweet treats. From cotton candy to a chipwich, the Black Tap's milkshakes are show stoppers.

15. Waffle Cone and Ice Cream from Eggloo

Eggloo is an ice cream shop that makes homemade cones inspired by Hong Kong's ice cream cones. The egg waffle is very soft, and somewhat cake like and is filled with generous scoops of delectable ice cream. Eggloo now has unlimited toppings from pocky to fruity pebbles, so feel free to load up your ice cream.

16. Pizza from Lombardi's Pizzeria

The sauce, the crust, the cheese--all incredible. Being the oldest pizzeria in NYC, Lombardi's knows how to make good, old-fashioned pizza. The crust is crisp, but still soft. The sauce tastes like my Italian grandmother's sauce, which is delicious and the pizza is topped with fresh mozzarella.

17. Rainbow Bagel with Birthday Cake Cream Cheese from The Bagel Store

The Bagel Store, besides from its generic name, is any but basic. The rainbow bagel is dense and chewy and the cream cheese tastes like frosting, making breakfast taste like dessert!