I Went To The Beach And The Social Distancing Was Non-Existent.
News

I went to the Indiana Dunes the other day and everyone went about their business normally. As someone who quarantined for months and just started working again recently, it was shocking to see such a lack of concern for the virus. With so many mixed signals from the media and from the president, it is hard to truly know if I should be worried.

5

Summer is here and everyone is itching to resume their lives and forget about the virus. Especially in states where it hasn't hit the hardest, people are taking off their masks and enjoying the weather. As amazing as it is to temporarily forget about the virus and go back to eating in restaurants, it is hard to predict what comes next, especially with the virus still out there.

I recently went to the Indiana Dunes and the lack of social distancing was nerve racking and it seemed like everyone was resuming their life as normal. I carefully kept my distance from others and made sure to sit 6 feet away from everyone else, but as people were walking by, playing volleyball, and swimming with their kids, it seemed like no amount of sanitizing or distancing could stop me from becoming exposed to someone else's germs. Not only was the entrance side of the beach packed, but all the way down past the dunes, there was a huge beach party with hundreds of people, probably cheek to cheek.

Indiana's first confirmed case was back on March 6th, which compared to other states such as New York, is not too far off since the first confirmed case was announced March 1st. Indiana hit their peak on April 26th with 950 cases. In comparison, Illinois is continuing to have its ups and downs, and according to Illinois.gov as of June 17 2020, Illinois has hit its highest number of cases at 29.97k. This is a huge jump from June 16th's number of cases which reached 18.79k. Looking at these statistics is concerning and it feels as though the light at the end of the tunnel is getting harder and harder to see. Especially with so many businesses opening up and the possibility of schools opening in the Fall, it's confusing to know what the right thing to do really is.

With places opening up and life resuming in some way shape or form, it's important to do your research if you are traveling or going somewhere where other people are also going to be. According to the CDC guidelines precautions like staying at least 6 feet apart, wearing a mask, and washing your hands as much as possible are simple ways to make sure you and your loved ones are less at risk. This won't last forever, but we need to learn how to live with the virus until we find more effective ways to prevent it from spreading. Keep an eye out for yourself and for others and don't forget that the fight is still going on, especially for those who are really at risk.