The Best At-Home Workouts Of 2020

So many of us are stuck in quarantine or isolation. Unfortunately, that means that any already-limited abilities to use the gyms are restricted even more. If you're anything like me, you got really creative to find ways to stay in shape during our stay at home order back in March.

While going outside for a run or a walk is always a good idea, it gets very tedious. So, over quarantine, I put together some of the best at-home workouts, so you don't have to scroll through endless fitness influencers' workout regimes or find videos that bore you to tears. Grab a housemate, a water bottle, move your couches, and get going!

Providence Power Yoga

I have practiced yoga for six years, and have gone to Providence Power Yoga in Providence many times. When quarantine hit, closing one of my favorite yoga studios, I was so excited to find that Providence Power Yoga has their classes on YouTube. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned yogi, there's a class for everyone, and you can do it at your own pace! Find a spot where you have plenty of stretching room, and grab a towel as a makeshift mat if you don't have one handy. I recommend the 60-minute vinyasa flow, or the 45-minute vinyasa flow if you are short on time.

Trifecta Pilates

Whenever I tell someone that I'm going to a Pilates class, I always get a response with a laugh and sarcasm, asking if I'm the youngest person in there. Notoriously known as being a gym class for moms, there are plenty of Pilates classes online. However, Pilates, with smaller movements and higher rep counts never fails to make my muscles shake, and I manage to stumble into my car after class. While the exercises are easy to do on your own once you've attended a few classes, it's helpful to have a whole class at your fingertips during quarantine. On YouTube, Trifecta Pilates has lots of different classes, including an hour-long class, and a 25-minute core-burn.

Muscle-specific workouts

While classes are great, sometimes you need a workout that's designed to target one particular muscle group. Personally, I love back and biceps day and leg day makes me want to cry. But that's just me — so here are a few at-home workouts that target specific muscles. All of these are equipment-free, so they can be done in a dorm or your home, and often only require a chair and a mat (or just the floor works too!). Remember, I am no nutritionist or personal trainer, and these workouts are what works for me – but if you do choose to go that route, make sure you work with someone who can tailor a workout regimen to your body!

Abs

Sit-ups (12)

Leg raises (12)

Hip dips (12)

V-ups (12)

Repeat three times, with a 45-second rest in between sets.

HIIT

Push-ups (10)

Squat/chest press (10)

Backward lunges (10)

Mountain climbers (10)

Jump-squats (10)

Triceps dips (10) 🡪 Grab a chair for this one!

Legs

Squat onto bench (12)

Squat pulses (12)

Lunge jumps (12)

Sumo squat (12)

Calf raise and plié squat (12)

Happy sweating everyone!