I'm Skeptical Of Astrology, But I Still Read My Horoscope

Hi there, gemini here. Like most, I'm pretty skeptical of astrology, I know that predictions can sometimes be broad enough to apply to anyone. Can the stars predict future events? I don't really know but it's as valid as any other prediction we can't see. If people can have complete faith in a God or religion when they have never seen proof, there's a chance your life may be written in the stars. Although I'm not 100% sold on the idea that my horoscope in Cosmopolitian Magazine is foolproof, I do believe I have many qualities consistent with a gemini, you may believe this too with your star sign. If you're someone who doesn't easily 'drink the Kool Aid' so to say, but have often thought "is Mercury in retrograde?," and it ends up that we are in retrograde, you're not alone. We've all heard that we shouldn't make any huge life changes when mercury is in retrograde and this is a time when communication isn't the greatest. I often wonder if it actually has a correlation of if its all in my head.

Despite being skeptical, I almost always relate to personality characteristics of a gemini. I sometimes feel myself having two moods (try working with me then going out for drinks after, you'll see the difference.) This brings me to one question: Is astrology real or just a human error of confirmation bias? Psychology suggests that every time we hear of a person matching descriptions of something that matches their astrology sign, and that every time we hear a characteristic of our sign that matches our personality, we just notice it more because we are paying more attention. We notice more things in ourself that are consistent with our horoscopes because we are applying it specifically to ourselves. Horoscopes usually contain information about one's personality and predictions, but in reality humans have a mixture of personality traits. We tend to stretch scenarios in horoscopes to make it apply to our life. So when the horoscope says, "you have pressure that is making it hard to focus," and that day your boss comes into your office pressuring you to finish your project quicker, you'll tend to confirm your belief that the horoscope was correct. What we fail to realize is that we noticed the pressure more because it was mentioned in the horoscope. Horoscopes are written with the knowledge that humans face a multitude of problems in a day and they have a variety of thoughts and personality characteristics.

I love reading my horoscope and those cute astrology tattoos (maybe I'll even get one), but I'm still skeptical of the star's ability to predict our future and give advice.