15 Reasons I Love Summer In The Midwest More Than Anywhere Else
Summer

15 Reasons Why I Love Summer In The Midwest More Than Anywhere Else

Growing up in a small Midwest community, I came to love and appreciate the summer season for all of these reasons.

344
Sade Yinger

Picture this; bright blue skies on a hot summer day, with a small breeze blowing through to cool you off. You hear someone say, "knee high by the fourth of July."

Ahhh yes, this is summer in the midwest. Here are 15 of all the things I love about this season.

1. Bonfires

The chilly summer nights are perfectly paired with a bonfire in your backyard accompanied by friends and family.

2. S'mores

It's not a bonfire without a s'more (or two.)

3. Cooking on the grill

All Midwest dads can't wait to light up the grill as soon as the weather is nice. There's nothing better than the smell of burgers cooking on the grill on a summer evening.

4. Sun-kissed skin

After months of the winter blues, the Vitamin D soaking into our skin feels amazing. Let's not forget the awesome tan we all develop.

5. Driving with the windows down

Driving down country roads, surrounded by cornfields, listening to your favorite song AND having the windows down. This is a perfect combination to boost your mood.

6. The smell of fresh cut grass

Stepping outside, you always get a nice whiff of the fresh cut grass from your neighbor's yard.

7. Swimming

It all started at my community pool as a child; I've always loved to swim every chance I got. There's no better way to cool off on those unbearably hot days.

8. Wearing your favorite summer accessories

Those cute sandals finally find their way out of the closet, and you get to break out your favorite pair of sunglasses.

9. Ice cream dates

I'm sure you're already picturing your favorite spot to indulge in some ice cold sweet treats. No matter the place or the person you go with, ice cream dates NEVER get old.

10. The longer hours of sunshine

I think we all can agree that we love having those extra hours of daylight until 9 p.m. It's the perfect time to sit on the porch and read a good book, ride your bike around your neighborhood, or play fetch with your dog.

11. Beautiful flowers

Whether it be wildflowers growing on the side of the road, your own gorgeous garden, or the sunflower field nearby; we all should stop and appreciate nature's beauty.

12. Eating fresh fruit

Biting into a big ol' wedge of watermelon after spending hours in the sun? Unbeatable deliciousness.

13. Family cookouts

There's something about stuffing yourself with yummy food, surrounded by your loved ones, and sharing memories with one another while watching the sunset.

14. Road trips

I live for the day trips to amusement parks, cruising to find a cool spot, or driving cross country for a family vacation. There's something special about the road trips we take in the summer because we know it'll lead to something fun,

15. Festivals and concerts

We look forward to these events all year long. Spending long hours outside enjoying live entertainment is an event we hate to miss out on.