Having A Lot Of Friends Is Overrated And Only Leads To Drama
Friendships

Having friends kind of sucks, but not having friends at all is worse.

250
Ethan Hu

You may be thinking that a person with no friends would write something like this, and you're right. But not precisely. I have friends of a very limited nature - two and a half to be exact. I say two and a half because one has been my best friend since eighth grade, the other is my second best friend since ninth grade, and the other is a coworker who I genuinely get along with and have had outings with but barely speak due to her moving away.

So really, I only have two solid friends. Some people may think two friends is all I need and others may think I'm really a loser for sure. See, the thing about it is that I have a long distance friendship with both of them. The only form of communication we have is via text or social media. One is in a different city; the other goes to a different school.

Now I'm down to zero in the vicinity of UCF and the Waterford Lakes area. You may think that I live a sad life, and you're right. On a deeper note, don't we all in a sense? Lately, I have been beginning to think that having a lot of friends is overrated. There are times when I miss the days of hanging out with a big group as if they were a protective bubble over me; shielding me from the friendless. But the drama and fakeness overshadowed the false protection it gave me. Yet, I sit here with barely any friends, and it's alright.

In my personal experience, friendships usually last one year until it expires. How long before it expires is up to how genuine the person is. There have been too many circumstances when I thought I made a lasting friendship with someone and then a situation such as losing touch or the worst - figuring out that this person talked nonsense behind my back the whole time. That one always hurts.

There was also that one time I thought I made friends and they ended up being overly-nice mind-controlling cult people who prey on the lonely. So you see, I have really tried to make friends, and now I've just given up entirely. In my opinion, it's hard making friends in Orlando because everyone is so stuck on themselves and won't let themselves venture out into the rest of the world outside their little bubbles. I can account for this because I have lived in Orlando for 95 percent of my life.

I could be the only one with this opinion, and it could be me that's the issue. I have done a lot of introspection on my part and I just see a black and somewhat introverted college girl who observes too much in the world to truly have faith in it. So I try not to dwell on the past and instead try to work on my current friendships so that they can last into the future. I learned from experience that it is not about how many friends I can make, or have, but the good friends that have my back along my life's journey.