I Found the Best Halloween Movies for Scaredy Cats Like Myself

Not-so-scary movies for your Halloween night

84

In all of my 21 years, I've never seen a scary movie. Unbelievable, I know, but as a kid my dad always preached, "once it's in your mind it'll never come out" so why would I voluntarily put something scary in my brain knowing I could never remove it? Despite my aversion to horror movies, I'm still a proud movie lover who knows a little too much about what's available on streaming services.

This year will undoubtedly be different from the rest. But that doesn't mean the spirit of Halloween should be lost. If you're like me, and looking for something good to watch this year, here are a few movies to add to your list.

Twitches

I recently rewatched Twitches only to realize it takes place on the girls' 21st birthday! As I just said, I'm 21! Unfortunately I am not a twin, nor a witch, but this realization proved that even though I watched twitches for the first time when I was 6, it's still relevant even now. Plus, it's a funny movie about the power of sisterhood, love, and the light it all brings. A good watch for anyone feeling like they need to fight off the darkness. And there's a sequel! Perfect for your double feature!

Available on Disney Plus

The Babysitter

If you're looking for gore that's not very scary, The Babysitter is for you. This movie is absurd, bloody, and full of hot people. It's how I imagine a modern day Scary Movie would look. Also, Netflix just released a sequel (Babysitter Killer Queen) if you're looking for a double feature.

Available on Netflix

Halloweentown

This is a clear no brainer for your halloween movie marathon. Marnie and her halloweentown world are the epitome of halloween spirit. Plus, there are four movies in the series - unless you understandably don't want to acknowledge the fourth one when they switched Marnie for the girl who played Aquamarine and thought we wouldn't notice. Regardless, the Halloweentown movies will never get old and will definitely bring some magic to your night.

Available on Disney Plus

Mom's Got A Date With A Vampire

I'm hoping that adding this movie to the list has sparked a memory you forgot you had. This movie is an absolute classic. It has action and thrills, with all the charm of a disney film.

Available on Disney Plus

Harry Potter

Though the Harry Potter movies were not made for Halloween, the spirit of the supernatural is most definitely present. My suggestion would be to watch The Sorcerer's Stone as it starts the series and, in my opinion, is the most whimsical. But hey, Halloween is a full 24 hours, why not watch them all!

Available for rent or purchase on Amazon and Itunes

The Little Vampire

Another absolute classic. Johnathan Lipnicki is so adorable in this movie. If you're feeling nostalgic, this ones for you.

Available for rent or purchase on Youtube and Amazon

Matilda

If recently you've felt alienated, unheard, or just a little bit powerless, try taking a peek into the life of Matilda Wormwood. This movie will make you believe in the power of love, kindness, intelligence, and most importantly magic. Plus, the "little bitty pretty one" scene where she first intentionally uses her powers will have even the grouchiest of watchers tapping their feet.

However you choose to spend your Halloween, stay safe and most importantly have fun! Happy Halloween!