I Deleted TikTok After Going Viral Multiple Times

Spoiler alert: Getting on the "For You" page on TikTok is not a guarantee for your content to go viral... and neither are hashtags.

37
Photo by Kon Karampelas on UnSplash

You are not a true TikToker if you haven't said "I downloaded this as a joke, but now I'm obsessed." Like many people, I originally downloaded TikTok to simply watch other people's videos. As the reality of quarantine becoming a serious thing started to dawn on me, TikTok became the savior to all my boredom related issues. I started out by posting old videos of mine; travel videos, scare cam videos of my siblings, and of course - food related videos. My first video to go viral was one I took in 2019 at an airport. I was vlogging about how expensive airport snack is when my cousin called my name and asked "Raquel, should I get Naked?"

Your browser does not support the video tag. s3.amazonaws.com

As the number of my views started to go up, so did my likes and following. People started liking my other videos, and I felt the need to constantly post content so that my followers would not disappear. My baking videos started to skyrocket, I started to think I could actually become famous. Within a month I had over 300,000 views on my content, and the need to keep my followers entertained turned into an obsession. I was posting three videos a day, always trying to find the latest trends, hashtags and songs, I'm not a dancer so my videos were always food or comedy related.

Although, I soon learned that going viral wasn't as simple as landing on the For You page, your content had to be good. I landed on the For You page plenty of times, the amount of views per video I had attested to that. I spent hours every day trying to come up with things people will find funny, or trying to find recipes worth drooling over. I soon felt as if TikTok consumed my life.

Things then started to take a turn, I think the turning point for me was when I started receiving hate comments on my food videos. I had people commenting rude things like - "that looks good, next time add bleach." Don't get me wrong, the comments didn't upset me. In fact, I enjoyed them because I used them to create funny reaction videos. I replied to that specific comment with a video asking "thanks for the tip, what brand do you recommend?" I also answered each hate comment by saying "I wish you healing and peace." Nothing more, nothing less. Hurt people like to hurt others, and I knew there was no use in getting upset or arguing with someone in that position. Ultimately though, it got exhausting.

After some self-reflection, I decided I had better things to do with my time and deleted the app. I have to say, life is so much better without it. As fun as TikTok is - it can become a drug. You get sucked into the app in a way I can't really describe, I lost countless hours of sleep every night because all I did was scroll through the For You page. My friends were shocked when I told them what I did, each saying I was on the verge of becoming famous (a bit of an exaggeration in my book). I decided I rather not be famous and have some sort of peace of mind over being famous and having to deal with that sort of toxicity.

After going through all those motions I realized how hard celebrities' have it. I'm not talking about their net worth being in the millions, I'm talking about their emotional and mental health - which ultimately is worth more than money. Personally, I rather not be rich and be happy, than be rich and be surrounded by all sorts of toxic things and people. Although social media has its benefits, taking a step back from it can do wonders for you. That doesn't necessarily mean you should delete all your platforms after reading this, but I do hope you consider taking a break here and there. Take care of your mind and body, find some inner peace, you deserve it.