I Am Pro Women's Rights
Politics

I Am Pro Women's Rights

What a woman wants to do with her body should be her decision.

93
I Am Pro Women's Rights

Womanhood is challenging. Womanhood is especially difficult when women lack the right to control their body and the decisions that go on about their bodies.

Women are constantly told how to act and what to wear to avoid unwanted attention and act in a ladylike manner. Women are held at a double-standard for a lot of things they decide to do.

If a woman has a job, why isn't she starting a family? If a woman is focusing on her career instead of settling down and getting married; why is she so selfish? If a woman wants to focus on her children and family's well-being, there are questions raised such as: why is she not doing more with her life?

There is always gonna be something that women are judged upon at a relentless level. It sounds terrible but, as a woman, I have somewhat come to terms with these unrealistic standards; however, as of last week enough is enough.

The argument of an abortion's morality has gone on for decades. People have taken their sides and have tried to prove their case. As someone who is personally pro-choice, here is exactly how I see it.

A pregnancy's main purpose is to create a new life and I for one want to avoid any unnecessary abortions during my lifetime. However, abortion is sometimes a necessary factor for specific women and what they can and cannot provide.

Identifying myself as pro-choice does not mean I am all for abortion, but it does not mean I am against it either. In fact, there are many situations where abortion is seen as necessary and I will not stand for a woman's choice of what she does with her own body to be removed. Examples being: rape, incest, lack of money, lack of time, contraception failure, or WHATEVER A WOMAN THINKS IS A GOOD ENOUGH REASON TO CHOOSE WHAT SHE WANTS TO DO WITH HER BODY.

The 'Heartbeat Bill' introduced in Georgia will not only be detrimental to the well-being of women and our decisions, but it will further push more and more unwanted children into foster care and poverty.

Six weeks is nothing. In all honesty, women's periods are irregular most times, and personally, if six weeks went by and I didn't have a period I would think nothing of it. I have missed periods for months and I was still okay.

Side note: I really wanted to avoid writing an article on such a controversial topic such as this because I was afraid of the backlash and hate I would receive, but in all honesty take my article or leave it. I feel so passionately about my rights as a woman that I am ready to share my side, which I almost never do.

I respect your opinion, and I hope you respect mine. After all, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. When my rights are affected due to the opinion of politicians that is when I begin fuming with anger.

Roe vs. Wade was created for a damn good reason. It was to protect the safety of women. It protects a right to privacy and was what helped women get the help they needed when deciding to keep their child or not. It helped women survive their abortions, and it helped them avoid threatening their lives trying to get them.

In my opinion, what a woman does with her body should not only be a choice, but it is also none of anyone's business.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.