Quavo And Travis Scott's Album 'Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho' Is Finally Here

A quick review of the artists' new album.

180

It’s finally here! Travis Scott and Migos’ Quavo have finally dropped their collaboration album, titled “Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho” after months of teasing its release.

The two artists have teased the album throughout this past week on their Instagram accounts until they each posted one last teaser announcing they were releasing “Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho” at midnight on December 20, the day of the announcement.

Travis Scott and Quavo have collaborated before on songs like “Oh My Dis Side” and “Pick Up the Phone” from Scott’s two albums, but this is the first time they have done an entire album together.

From the very start of “Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho,” I was immediately impressed with the chemistry these two artists have together, which their fans were most likely already aware of because of previous collaborations. The introduction to the first song off the album, “Modern Slavery,” was a Kanye West-esque thing to do as they opened the song with Otis Redding singing all the way into the beat drop.

Overall, I thought the album was pretty great, and it was as creative as you can get when it comes to trap music due to the fact that the themes of almost every trap song are pretty much the same — drugs and women.

To switch up the formatting from my previous album reviews, I will list every song off of “Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho” in order from 1 to 13, putting a star next to what I felt were the best songs and an “(x)” next to the songs I thought were bad.

Note: I enjoyed just about every single song on the album, but I can’t put a star next to each of those 11 songs that I loved so I will just be choosing a handful that I felt were better than the rest.

I would go into detail about each song but seeing as how trap music does pretty much say the same things, I don’t think any of you would be interested in reading a description of every song that seems like it was copied and pasted into each paragraph below the song title.

That being said, here is a quick review of “Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho.”

"Modern Slavery"*

"Black & Chinese"

"Eye 2 Eye" (ft. Takeoff)*

"Motorcycle Patches"*

"Huncho Jack"

"Saint"

"Go"

"Dubai Shit" (ft. Offset)*

"Saint Laurent Mask" (X)

"Moon Rock" *

"How U Feel"

"Where U From"

"Best Man" (X)

Now, here's what I didn't like and why:

"Saint Laurent Mask"

My biggest problem with this track is pretty simple and not really that big of a deal because it actually is a good song, and I don’t want to come off like I’m dissing it. Quavo recycled a line word for word in an almost identical flow. The line he recycled was “I bet you n****s can’t re-up” and he used it a few months back in Meek Mill’s song, “Ball Player.”

The reason I think this is an issue is because trap lyrics are basic enough as it is, and every artist says virtually the same thing so for one artist to reuse the exact line in the exact way as he did in a song from just a few months back, to me, shows a lack of effort.

Quavo could have just changed the words up a little bit for it to send the same message, but he wouldn’t have actually recycled the line. It also would have taken a couple of minutes, but he chose to leave it in — that bothers me as a writer.

Like I said, the song itself is still pretty good. I just hate that he got that careless on a line because Migos has had a such a great year, both as a group and as individual artists, and this was a flaw in an otherwise almost flawless 2017.

"Best Man"

Out of the 13 songs on “Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho,” the first 12 as a group were pretty great overall, but “Best Man” must not have gotten the memo and dropped the ball just shy of the end zone.

I felt like every bit of chemistry Travis Scott and Quavo had throughout the album was lost in this track, and even the beat was off as it totally stood out from the other songs and their instrumentals.

Others may like it and, if so, then great. I hope you have the time of your life every time you bump it, but for me, it’ll be skipped every single time I hear it. I guess it just wasn’t my cup of lean.

“Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho”: 4.7/5

This album was awesome as a collaboration album, but I think you’ll see it getting as much respect as a solo album does — and it definitely deserves it! “Huncho Jack, Jack Huncho” is out now and available on Apple and Spotify so check it out!