Humarock, Massachusetts: My Second Home

Humarock, Massachusetts: My Second Home

42°08′10″N 70°41′26″W

239
Humarock, Massachusetts: My Second Home
Bridget Colburn

Many people don't know what or where Humarock is, but I am happy to say that it is where I spend my summers. Humarock is a village of Scituate, which is well known to some people for its beach and ice cold ocean water. Humarock is basically one long main road with side streets which are surrounded by water on both sides. One side is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean while the other side is surrounded by the South River. I have met some of my best friends in this picturesque place, and look forward to spending my summers with them every year. Humarock is like its own little world. It is filled with friendly faces and some of the nicest people that I have ever met. This is a place where you are sure to meet and make friends for life. Here are just some of the perks of living and spending time in Humarock.

The Beach is Beautiful

The beach in Humarock is home to many people who reside here for summers. The beach is private with a public section for residents of Scituate. The beach can be very rocky, hence the name Humarock. But it is extremely clean and also beautiful.

The Bridgewaye

Humarock is home to two restaurants, but the Bridgewaye is an all-time favorite for many people. It's the perfect place to go after a long day at the beach if you want to grab a bite to eat. The Bridgewaye also attracts customers from all over the South Shore. The menu varies from delicious Cesar salad pizza to stuffed mushrooms, seafood, and even everyone's favorite Italian dishes. No matter where you sit in this restaurant, the views are phenomenal and definitely add to the great atmosphere of the restaurant.

The Bridges

An all time favorite activity in Humarock for kids of all ages is bridge jumping. There are two bridges in Humarock which are always filled with kids jumping off of them at high tide. When kids jump off of the bridge, they can float down the river which is definitely something that I recommend. Jumping off of the 'big bridge' and floating down the river to the 'little bridge' is not only fun but also a great workout. Bringing a GoPro to capture each jump is something that makes it an even greater experience.

Friends and Family

One of my favorite parts about living in Humarock for the summer is that I get to see my friends every single day for the whole summer. I don't get to see many of these people during the winter so I look forward to being with them for the summer months. Each day at the beach with them is fun and enjoyable. I also enjoy being able to spend time with my family in one of my favorite places. There is just something about the atmosphere in Humarock which makes it a perfect place for families to venture off to. I have made some of my best friends and memories here which is something that I am extremely grateful for.

The Spit

If you have a boat or even a friend with a boat, you more than likely have gone to The Spit. The Spit is a place that people with boats venture out to at low tide because acres of sand are exposed. Hundreds of people come here on hot summer days and anchor their boats in the water surrounding it. People of all ages come to The Spit daily to relax and have a good time.

Humming Rock Gifts

In Humarock there is a cute little souvenir shop called Humming Rock Gifts. Humming Rock Gifts is the place to go if you are looking for Humarock apparel and other cool things. It is one of the only places which sells everything Humarock so it is a great place to stop at when you are in Humarock. The very popular Humarock Spirit Jerseys are sold here in many different colors, along with other sweatshirts, pants, and shirts. The owner Chris is extremely helpful and friendly which is another reason to give the Humming Rock business.

The Horribles' Parade

Each year at the end of the summer during Labor Day weekend there is a parade in Humarock called the 'Horribles' Parade'. This parade marks the end of each summer and the beginning of the new school year for kids. This is a tradition which has been kept for over 60 years. The parade consists of hilarious floats, antique cars, young children dressed up in costumes, and even Santa. The parade might seem unenjoyable to people who have never experienced it, but once you see one you will want to go back again and again. It is a Humarock tradition which I look forward to each year.

Humarock might seem like an average beach town to people who have never been here, but in reality Humarock is a hidden gem of the South Shore. With its close proximity to Boston, amazing views, and great people; it is the perfect place to go with friends and family.