Human Sexuality

Human Sexuality

A Brief Look Into

39
Human Sexuality
Ashley Strube

Human Sexuality Reflection

To end this semester of Human Sexuality, there are many things to reflect on. A positive understanding of this class will be shared, along with many concepts that I found to be important in a person’s life.

Female Sexual Anatomy and Physiology

Menstruation is defined as the sloughing off of uterine lining that takes place if conception has not occurred. This concept is important because it shows that this person is healthy and functional. Some cultures have negative beliefs of menstruation, but it is a natural part of every woman’s life. This period allows an individual to carry, nourish, and birth a child. During the menstrual cycle, the uterine lining is prepared for the fertilized oocyte. If the conception does not occur, the lining sheds for about two to six days.

Vaginal infections, or vaginitis; is the inflammation of the vaginal walls when the natural balance of the vagina is disturbed. Symptoms of vaginitis include: irritation of the vulva, redness of the labia, unusual discharge, and sometimes odor. A few types of vaginal infections are yeast infections, bacterial infections, and trichomoniasis. If a chronic infection is not treated, women can face cancer from cervical cell changes in the body. Knowing symptoms and types of infections helps one look out for current or future irritations. I think if people are aware that changes in their body’s environment could lead to an infection, they will research ways to prevent one from happening. I believe this could lead to a decrease in the amount of hospital visits people need to get treatment from a physician. Preventative actions can help many from getting an infection initially.

Male Sexual Anatomy and Physiology

Circumcision is the surgical removal of the foreskin. It is usually practiced for religious and health reasons. A health benefit being infection causing organisms that live under the foreskin are removed because of circumcision, and there is a decrease in urinary tract infections. Along with that, there is also evidence that circumcision provides protection against HIV. One can choose to have or not have their children circumcised.

Testicular Cancer is most common in men ages 20-35. Risk factors include: smoking, Caucasian race, family history, and cryptorchidism. Symptoms of testicular cancer are: a mass within the teste, dull ache in the groin, tender breasts, and painful accumulation of fluid and swelling of the scrotum.

Love and Communication

According to Sternberg, love has three dimensions which include: passion, intimacy, and commitment. In his triangle, various combinations of these components make up the different kinds of love. I find it fascinating that there is more than one type of love. I think it would be a great idea to teach this to adolescents in a health class, or as part of their sexual education. Sternberg’s theory states that there is a transition in relationships from passionate love to compassionate love.

The chemistry of love has to deal with three neurotransmitters called: norepinephrine, dopamine, and phenylethylamine. These neurotransmitters communicate with each other in similar ways that amphetamines do, giving an individual a euphoric effect. I also think this would be a useful tool to teach adolescents in school during a sex education class. I think when you first get to know someone, these firings in the brain can trick you into thinking you love someone, when it may only be lust.

Sexual Orientations

An asexual person is a person who does not experience sexual attraction. I think this is an important concept to understand, as it is not well-known. I would like others to know that just because someone is asexual, doesn’t mean they don’t want to have relationships with people. Individuals who are asexual have relationships and date; they simply are not sexually attracted to others. Asexuality is normal and is included in the spectrum of sexualities.

Bisexuality doesn’t have a specific definition. A way to describe someone who is bisexual is: a person who finds both sexes attractive, but may favor one more than the other. Anyone person who identifies as this is different from the next. Some may consider bisexual people as confused or curious. I think this may be the case in some respect, but like the book referenced this woman’s thoughts; she did not think she fit in anywhere. So, perhaps people that identify as bisexual are the in between folks, placing bisexuality on the spectrum of sexual orientations.

Contraception

Oral contraceptives are the most commonly used methods of birth control; available in a variety of chemical structures and doses of hormones, giving women a wide range of choices. Oral contraceptives can improve overall health. I find birth control to be a very important topic. I feel like it should be available to any woman, who so wants it.

Unlike most people’s beliefs, the withdrawal method is ineffective because the Cowper’s gland secretions in the male can carry sperm that can fertilize an egg. In most cases, someone will not get pregnant, but in other cases someone will get pregnant using this method. I believe if someone is using the withdrawal method, they should use another form of birth control along with it.

Conceiving Children

Forms of reproductive alternatives include: artificial insemination, surrogate mother, assisted reproductive technology (ART), and in vitro fertilization (IVF). Artificial insemination is a medical procedure in which the male semen is placed into a woman’s vagina, cervix, and uterus. A surrogate mother is someone who is artificially inseminated by the male partner in a couple. This woman then carries the baby to term and delivers the child for the couple. ART is a technique used in a lab for extrauterine conception. IVF is a procedure in which eggs are removed from a woman’s ovaries and fertilized by sperm in a laboratory. After the eggs are fertilized, they are introduced into the woman’s uterus.

Breastfeeding provides food for the baby filled with antibodies and other immunity-producing substances. Breastfeeding for the mother can be an emotional and sensual experience. The mother bonds with the baby, and nursing induces uterine contractions that help the uterus return to its original size. It is shown that breastfeeding reduces stress in the mother and baby; and children who were breastfeed are associated with higher testing scores in school. I find breastfeeding an important topic because it is so beneficial to the baby. The milk a woman produces feeds the baby, and gives him/her the mother’s antibodies and all the immune system she has built up since her birth. Although, I know it can be painful and some women do not want to do it, or cannot for other reasons. I think that the mother should at least try, and get some of those antibodies and immune system into the child.

Sexually Transmitted Infections

Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is an infection caused by bacterial microorganisms. It is the most common form of vaginitis is the United States. There are usually some bacteria in the vaginal environment, but when overgrowth occurs is when one will experience BV. Having a BV infection can increase a woman’s chances of getting HIV if she is exposed. To treat BV, one takes an oral medication by mouth, or applies cream to the affected area. Anyone can get a BV, regardless if you are sexually active or not. A BV can occur from the homeostasis of your environment getting thrown off balance.

Scabies is an ectoparasitic infestation of tiny mites on the genitals, hands, abdomen, butt, and female breasts. Scabies are highly contagious and can be transmitted by close physical contact, sexual and nonsexual. People at risk for scabies include: sexually active people, school children, nursing home residents, and indignant people. Scabies can be treated with a topical scabicide that is applied throughout the body.

Atypical Sexual Behavior

A fetish is described as a sexual behavior in which a person gets sexually aroused, exclusively from an inanimate object or part of the body. Some fetishes include: feet, shoes, lingerie, breasts, legs, articles of clothing, and more. However, there can be a point where fetishes can become harmful to the person or others.

Sexual sadism is the act of obtaining sexual arousal through giving physical or psychological pain, and sexual masochism is the act of obtaining sexual arousal through receiving physical or psychological pain. Many people who engage in sexual sadism and masochism activities are motivated by a desire to experience dominance or submission rather than pain. Most sadomasochistic behavior (SM) occurs in mild or symbolic acts with a trusted partner. Some examples of SM behavior may include: love biting, bondage, dominance, submission, role play, hit with a soft object, spanked, and whipped.

Sexual Coercion

Rape is a form of sexual intercourse that occurs without consent, resulting in actual or threatened force. Different types of rape include: stranger rape, acquaintance rape, date rape, statutory rape. Most of these are self-explanatory. Statutory rape; however, is intercourse with a person under the age of consent. The age of consent varies from ages 14-18 years old. Many victims do not report their assault because of self-blame. I feel like if anyone says ‘NO’, and sex still happens, it is considered rape. Someone did not want to do it, so why did it still happen? It is like asking someone if they want a cookie, and when they say no, you shove it down their throat. It is assault.

Sexual harassment is the unwelcomed sexual advances, requests, and other sexual verbal or physical acts in the workplace or academic settings. Sexual harassment also happens when someone’s actions create a hostile work or school environment.

I believe that these concepts are important to my life and others. I hope you remember them and take them with you throughout the years, by helping the community, keeping people informed and in good health.

Have a wonderful week!

Reference

Crooks & Baur. Our Sexuality. Wadsworth Cengage Learning. 2014