Human Character Should Not Be Defined By Politics
Politics

Our political ideas and opinions do not define whether or not we are good people.

6
ASKDrBrown

Throughout the course of this election, I have noticed something that often gets brushed under the rug. When did it become socially acceptable to judge a person's character based on their political beliefs? Disclaimer: I am not about to go into detail on my political beliefs and defend them because in the grand scheme of things, they really don't matter. My opinions are mine, and your opinions are yours. It's as simple as that. However, as people are consumed with the political media all around us, we tend to forget that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Being passionate about politics should be praised, not condemned.

The sad reality is this: Our country has become so engrossed in politics that we have lost sight of who we are as a nation. We judge our peers because they are conservative or because they are liberal. We shove our beliefs down the throats of others, telling people that what they believe in is wrong because they do not side with us on controversial issues such as abortion and immigration.

Our political ideas and opinions, much like the color of our skin or our religion, do not define whether or not we are good people. A person holds their liberal or conservative beliefs because it is what makes sense for their lifestyle. Society, as a whole, is guilty of judging those who openly express their opinions, and that is not OK.

Speaking openly, I identify as a Republican and I take pride in my party affiliation. However, I am very reluctant to always publicly admit this. I feel like I am judged for my political opinions. There is a stigma attached to millennials who identify as Republicans, assuming that we adopted our political beliefs from our parents. Conservative ideals are often described as colonial and outdated, making it seem as if we, as a party, are closed-minded. This is not the case. Just to make it clear, I believe that love is love and that the government has no right to restrict that. I also believe that every single human being, no matter their background, is equal in any and all circumstances. Just because a person chooses to identify with a certain side, doesn't mean that every single person who identifies as the same shares the exact same beliefs.

Liberals receive just as much ridicule and are also victims of political stereotyping. I am not going to lie and say that I have always been the most understanding person when it comes to opposing views. As I've developed my personal political identity, there were times that I judged opposing views because they did not align with my own. As I have become more educated on politics, I have realized the crucial need for much more acceptance and much less judgment.

It is time that our country embraced our opposing opinions. After all, isn't that the beauty of a democracy? We are so lucky to live in a country where we are given a voice. It is for this reason that we must stop associating political affiliation with human character. It is entirely possible to respectfully disagree with someone, despite that this concept was not portrayed in this election. The presidential debates became filled with bashing the other candidate and didn't include much of any actual persuasion. At the end of the day, we are all human beings and we all deserve the love of our neighbor.