Hulu's 'The Act' Is Your Next Binge Show

If you're anything like me, you're constantly searching for a new series to binge-watch. Boy, do I have the series for you!

"The Act" on Hulu, starring Joey King, is a new true crime series that has opened my eyes to a situation that I never could've imagined. Maybe you've heard of the real-life story that inspired "The Act." If you haven't, prepare to be shook.

The basis of the show is a true story that involved a young girl named Gypsy Rose Blanchard and her mother Dee Dee Blanchard. When Gypsy was a little girl, she somehow obtained an injury that made it difficult for her to walk. From that point on, her mother made her roll around in a wheelchair and claimed that Gypsy had illness after illness that made her unable to walk, among other things.

Everyone that knew Gypsy and Dee Dee were aware of Gypsy's illnesses and inability to walk. In fact, Habitat for Humanity built them a house, and they received a large number of charitable donations to help with Gypsy's medical care.

However, Gypsy could walk. She would get up at night and walk around, eat snacks, and use the laptop and phone that she purchased without her mother's knowledge. If her mother caught her walking, there would be consequences. Gypsy was too afraid to tell anyone about her secret — partly because she felt sympathy for her mother, and partly because she was scared people would be angry at her for lying.

Dee Dee claimed that Gypsy had the mind of a seven-year-old, when in fact she was in her late teens. She lied about Gypsy's real age, claiming that the year on her medical card was "wrong." Gypsy was getting older and was perfectly healthy. She began to take interest in boys, makeup, and other normal teenage things. Gypsy's mother was infuriated with her coming of age. If she ever caught Gypsy doing anything that she didn't approve of (basically everything normal teenagers do), she would be outraged.

This story is 100% real.

Dee Dee had a disorder called Munchausen syndrome by proxy that results in a caregiver making up an illness or disability for the person in their care. The disorder is classified as a form of child abuse, and Gypsy sure went through hell. Do yourself a favor and watch "The Act" on Hulu. It will open your eyes to something that many other children probably experience every day.