10 Things Only Arizona Wildcats Know

10 Things Only Arizona Wildcats Know

The things U of A students have in common

58
10 Things Only Arizona Wildcats Know
arizona.edu

As I’m sure goes for students at universities worldwide, there are certain parts of the lives of Arizona Wildcats that are distinct, unique and original to Tucson, Ariz. Here are ten reasons you know you go to the University of Arizona…

1. Bursar’s is the new credit card

After purchasing your textbooks for each semester (or not), you reward yourself for all of that work with a new pair of Ray Bans, video games and remotes, a new wardrobe of Arizona apparel or maybe even a new speaker, laptop or iPad. When your parents ask what all the money was spent on, you can just say textbooks.

2. Tailgate season generally outplays the football team

Look, this is not by any means a slam to the football team, but come on, we are a basketball school, right? However, after this season especially, a good football team is not necessary for a killer tailgating season. Whether you go to frats, bars, house parties or the mall, you’re sure to have an awesome time drinking, eating and celebrating with fellow Wildcat fans from around the state – and even country.

3. It’s pool party season almost all year

Sure enough, I saw on my Snapchat stories and Instagram feed that students were outside partying during the day when it was windy, raining and gray outside. That won’t stop the mailman from delivering your mail, nor will it stop a Wildcat from hitting University for a drink at Frog & Firkin, No Anchovies or Illegal Pete’s. Pool party season is unlike any other university… If you haven’t experienced an Arizona pool party, have you even pool partied?

4. Dead Day Eve is a recognized holiday

Sure, we should all be reading and studying for finals, but when the school gives us a Thursday off from class, of course that only gives more reason to celebrate wine/whisky Wednesday. Frats go off, bars are packed and the campus is ironically, alive… Until the next day when people are stuck in bed hungover, recovering and attempting to study for finals.

5. Rain is a good thing

It doesn’t rain often, but when it does, students have never been so appreciative of the poor infrastructure and drainage surrounding campus. Streets are flooded, roads are dangerous and campus is nearly impossible to get to. The solution? CLASS IS CANCELLED!

6. Highland Burritos are a necessity

Especially freshman year or any year spent in the dorms, Highland Burritos are a tradition to the Arizona culture. Sure, they probably aren’t worth waiting, at times, an hour for, but when it’s 2 a.m. and the “drunchies” kick in, there is no better cure than a tasty Highland breakfast burrito.

7. ZonaZoo passes are a must, even if you leave the game at halftime

School spirit is incredible at U of A. Students love cheering on one of the top basketball programs in the nation, and even though the football program isn’t nearly as successful, staying for the first half until the tailgate buzz wears off is a must. Plus, then you can snag a hot dog on your way out! Recently, hockey games have become a hit because of the $1 beer nights hosted.

8. Tuesdays are bigger than Fridays

Going out in Tucson is nearly a part-time job. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights are the most popular and when a majority of students socialize. Although Friday nights are generally busier in regards to the public, this is the night students take to relax a little bit and catch up on homework, sleep or work.

9. Eegee’s party packs become the best party favors

What’s a hot, sunny day at U of A (meaning, a tailgate or pool party) without a little bit of the frozen Eegee’s slushies home to Tucson? An even better question: What’s an Eegee’s party pack without a little bit (or a lot-a-bit) of vodka?

10. Harry Potter shots and Sake Bombs are a part of turning 21

Now, although Harry Potter shots were a memory from the ever-famous Auld Dub (“the Dub”) on University, new memories will need to be made somewhere else. Unfortunately, the Dub has closed and Harry Potter shots are a thing of the past (unless Congress can keep up the reputation). However, $5 Sake Bombs at Fuku will always be the best way to start a Friday (or Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday or Sunday) night (or day). In other words, it’s always a good time for a Sake Bomb.