Keep Your Natural Hair Growing While In Box Braids

Here's How To Keep Your Natural Hair Growing While In Box Braids

Thinking about getting box braids? Read this first.

3007

Box braids are a beautiful and intricate style that can both keep hair healthy and keep it growing. More importantly, box braids are protective styles.

Protective styles help keep natural hair from being overstyled and over-processed by providing a way for natural hair to be tucked away. These styles ensure breakage and damage does not disrupt the hair's growth and overall healthiness.

Box braids are my personal favorite protective style. I love box braids because of the versatility of the style and the growth I see in my hair once I remove them.

But box braids can do a lot of damage to someone's hair if the hairstyle is not cared for properly.

One big mistake that can occur in the process of installing box braids is installing the braids too tight. Braiding the box braids too tight will cause the hair located at the scalp to be pulled to the point of becoming weak. If not cared for, the hair will break off from the root upon removing the braids. This can be detrimental to hair growth.

Wearing styles that are too tight can also result in a condition called traction alopecia. Traction alopecia can result in permanent hair loss. If you plan on getting box braids, stress to your stylist to install the braids loosely. If there is any braid that feels too tight or causing you pain before you leave the salon, tell your stylist! Any good hairstylist will remove the offending braid and reinstall it looser. My hairstylist always asks me if anything is too tight before I leave, so she can fix it before it even becomes a problem.

Another commonly made mistake while wearing box braids is allowing the natural hair at the scalp to become dry. I believe this is why so many women are apprehensive to put their hair in box braids. If natural hair becomes extremely dry, it will break off. If someone does not moisturize their braids, the natural hair underneath will become brittle.

BUT this issue is easily fixed. Applying oil or hair conditioner to the scalp twice a day will alleviate any dryness. Some good oils to use are olive oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, and sunflower seed oil. Some good hair conditioner to use is any kind of Blue Magic hair grease. Personally, the Indian hemp and coconut oil Blue Magic hair conditioners are my favorite.