How To Take Care Of An Orchid

How To Take Care Of An Orchid

Its quite complicated

38
How To Take Care Of An Orchid
Google

Orchids are a beautiful breed of plant that exist in many different colors and sizes. Currently, this plant species contains over 28,000 specimens and can grow in virtually any household. Today, I’ll be teaching you the very basics of how to care for your orchid!

1. Where can I purchase an orchid? You can find orchids or purchase at just about any store. I’ve seen them at grocery stores, gift shops, and even in gas stations! However, I highly recommend buying them from somewhere with a garden center such as Home Depot or Sears. You should also try supporting your local gardeners, florists, or botanists.

2. Are they poisonous? Orchids are not poisonous to humans or household pets. However, some individuals may have allergies to them, especially if they already have another known plant-based allergy.

3. All right, I just purchased my orchid, what should I do now? Place your plant in an area of indirect sunlight, if the orchid gets too much sun, it won’t be very happy and may die as a result. To tell that your orchid is happy with the amount of sun it’s getting, refer to the color of the leaves. A bright green leaf with yellow tones means it’s happy, dark green leaves, despite the aesthetics, are bad and it means your plant isn’t getting enough light.

4. When should I water it? Only water your orchid once a week. To do this, water the plant thoroughly until it begins to drain through the holes of its pot. Remember! When it comes to orchids, under-watering is much better than overwatering. Overwatering causes root rot, which will kill your plant. There is also another technique many plant lovers use to water their orchids. Some gardeners may put several ice cubes into the pot of the plant to allow for a slow, continuous watering. This also helps prevent root rot, but personally I don’t prefer this technique. In addition, it’s also preferable to water the plant earlier in the morning, as that means the water will most likely be evaporated by night. Also, if you happen to live in an environment with low humidity, you may need to water your plant more than once a week.

5. If I have to repot, what potting soil should I use? First of all, make sure you choose a well-draining pot that will be big enough to contain its growing roots. Second, make sure the soil or medium you use is well-draining, but also water-retentive. You can purchase a bark or peat based mixture at any of your local gardening stores.

6. Oh no, the flowers fell off! Don’t worry! The flowers of the orchids fall off and will rebloom if you continue to treat it with the proper care it deserves. If it doesn’t rebloom, that means it’s getting an insufficient amount of light. Again, refer to the leaf color to see if it’s getting enough light. The leaves should be a nice grassy color.