9 Tips For Your First Music Festival— After You Wash Away The Shame Of Waiting This Long

It will be the best and craziest weekend of your life.

20

So I had the chance to go to Music Midtown in Atlanta a few weeks ago. This was my first music festival and I was expecting a good time. I knew it was going cool but boy I was not expecting it to go down the way that it did. Since festival season is closing out, I wanted to give my advice from my experience at my first music festival.

1. Stick to your original plan

Have a game plan and stick to it. If the gates open at 12, then get there before 11 to not be in the long lines outside the venue. If you're leaving at eight, leave at eight before you get stuck in the traffic of people and cars leaving the venue. Multiple artists are performing at different stages through the whole event so you need to know what time sets are and where to go.

2. Have a budget

Festivals tickets are expensive but so is getting there. If it's out of state, then you have to think about plane tickets or driving, and hotel stays. The cheapest tickets to get are Spirit airlines or Southwest. I know it's the bottom but a $200 Delta ticket versus a $89 Southwest ticket is not debatable. Book your hotel a month before the festival because they book up quick as soon as the festival dates drop. Keep it simple and save your coins.

3. Hydrate the whole day

No matter what festival you go to, it's going to be hot. Bring your own water bottle and drink two bottles of water before you go to the festival. The water stations have long lines and bottles of water are overpriced.

4. Get the festival map

Make sure to get the festival map on your phone so you won't get lost. Know where the stages are and where to find the restrooms by getting the festival app. It will have your location and a live view of the whole festival venue.

5. Prepare to swim through the crowds

c1.staticflickr.com

The crowds in festivals are insane. It's crowded and hot the whole day. You are going to be pressed and pushed up against people you've only known for two hours. Be prepared to swim and dive through the crowds to get some oxygen and go to where you wants to be.

6. Festival food is expensive

Festival food is not cheap and vendors are always overpricing their food when they book these big festivals. You don't have to starve but have breakfast before you go. I would be $40 for to two sets of meals for lunch and dinner plus a couple of drinks, if you are 21 and over.

7. You don't have to buy merchandise for the memories

c1.staticflickr.com

Festival merchandise is going to be expensive and the cheapest thing you'll find is a hat for $10. If you want to get some merch from the festival vendors, I would go for the cheapest shirt. Also, a lot of the sponsors will have free merchandise for attendees at the festival so you don't have to spend $50 on a shirt and a poster.

8. People will be turnt to the max

upload.wikimedia.org

People get wild at these festivals and have leway to have a good time. People are leaving their everyday lives for the weekend and problems so it will get pretty crazy. People are crowd surfing, smoke weed, drink to the nines. Just be aware that you'll be seeing some things in two or three days you're out there.

9. Have Fun

Remember to enjoy the experience and have a good time. You are living your best life and should enjoy the time of your life.