5 Tips To Strengthen Your Relationship While In Quarantine

5 Tricks To Help Strengthen Your Relationship While You're Quarantined With Your SO

If your relationship can survive this, it can survive anything!

218

We are coming up on 10 days now. My boyfriend and I are used to being together for long periods of time, but this is a whole new level of quality time. There are good things and bad, but overall I would say it is a true test for any relationship. All it takes is a little space and consideration to make it work. During this time being cooped up, you can sure learn a lot about yourself and your partner.

Here are a few things you can do to strengthen your relationship amidst the pandemic:

Give each other space

I want to emphasize that this is one of the biggest lessons we have learned while being in quarantine. It's easy to think that you have to be with each other at all times, but even while stuck in the same space you still need to practice independence. How can you do this? Simply go to another room and isolate yourself for an hour or two at a time. If your home or apartment has limited space and you don't see that working, just being across the room can make a huge difference. Another option is to take a long bath to take a break from each other. Being independent is so healthy in a relationship and this tip will make quarantine much more bearable for the both of you.

Cook together

For the sake of boredom, get your butts in the kitchen and make something! It's a great way to get creative and distance yourself from technology. Try making something you've never done before. For example, my boyfriend and I wanted to use our food processor for the first time so we found a tasty soup recipe. It was a fun experience using the food processor and the soup turned out wonderful. To kick this up a notch, I would recommend turning on some funky music while you cook!

Forget about being on the same sleep schedule

This one probably varies from couple to couple. If you and your partner are on the same sleep schedule, well good for you - I'm immensely jealous! My boyfriend is a night owl and I'm generally on a normal schedule besides going to bed a little later than normal. The point is, I'm awake during the day while my boyfriend is busy snoozing. It can be a difficult adjustment, especially since it is much easier to fall victim to boredom. We begin to rely on our partners for entertainment, even just talking to someone is better than sitting alone in the living room. The only solution is to set a routine, but don't count on it fixing everything all at once. Just go with the flow. If you are in the same boat as me, try calling your family or keeping busy (individual hobbies, cleaning, studying, watching TV) until your partner wakes up. And even then, don't solely rely on them for entertainment because that will only cause discontentment. These are weird times, but it will balance itself out eventually!

Be patient with each other

That little argument over which actor was in what TV show? Don't even go there right now! Leave things be if it means keeping the peace. This one is very simple - practice patience with each other. We are all a little stressed. Some of us are out of a job or just started school online. I know my boyfriend had to be patient with me when I read through the complicated emails I was receiving from my professors because I'm a big ball of anxiety right now. This pretty much goes for everyone, but please be patient with each other. We are doing the best we can.

Put your phone down regularly 

My screen time has shot up since being inside. Sometimes my eyes hurt at the end of the day. When both of us are on our phones for half of the day, sometimes we forget to check up on each other. What I would suggest doing is scheduling out a set amount of time when both of you put your phones away. Use this time to communicate how you're feeling. Go on a walk, do a puzzle, make a pizza and watch a movie, have sex, make a vision board, or do a workout routine. The possibilities are endless, but do something together instead of locking in on your phones for hours at a time. You will come out much stronger!

Follow Swoon on Instagram.