Break Out Of A Funk

Here Are 3 Ways To Break Out Of Your Funk If You're Spending Too Much Time Alone

You may feel like you're alone now, but it's important to remember that loneliness isn't forever.

240
get out of your funk

When I first got to college, it became really hard for me to make new friends after being surrounded by the same people all of my life. I knew college was supposed to push me out of my comfort zone, but it was super difficult for me and I learned to find comfort in being by myself. There's nothing wrong with that of course (I've always been a homebody), but it eventually got to the point where I would get anxiety just by leaving my room to go grab something to eat. I knew a change needed to happen or else it would completely take over my life, so here are a few tips I used to break out of that funk.

1. Take yourself out on dates

The biggest thing for me was getting out of my room and going out to be an actual person in society, so I'd take myself out on dates. I'd go out to eat by myself, go shopping by myself, go get my nails done, and just the little things that I used to enjoy but didn't do anymore. Small things like going to the park to read a book or walk my dog didn't necessarily have anything to do with talking to other people, but it still allowed me to get out of my room where I thought I was gonna actually go insane.

2. Hang out with old friends

One of the things I mentioned was that it was hard for me to make friends. So, instead of diving head first into an uncomfortable social setting, I decided to go hang out with a few old friends first for a few days. This was really good for me because not only did I get to catch up with the people I grew up with my entire life, they pushed me to go out and try new things and to meet new people. This was a big step because it allowed me to get out of my comfort zone a bit before trying to make new friends.

3. Spend time with your family

I can't even count how many times my dad has taken the hour and a half drive just to come have dinner with me. It felt really good to just sit and talk with someone, and to be reminded of what you came here for in the first place. By spending time with my family, I was reassured that I am indeed loved, and just because it took me a little more time to open up, it didn't mean I'd be alone forever.