New Year, New You

New Year, New You

Three, two, one... RESOLUTIONS.

I can already hear it; "three, two, one, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!" How did another year already go by? Where did the time go?!

With another year heading our way comes the one thing we all try to prepare for: New Year Resolutions. My personal experience with these so-called "resolutions"? I stick to them for a week tops then tell myself I'll try again next year. Don't judge me, I know you all do the same thing.

So, how do we go about sticking to these goals (and I mean ACTUALLY sticking to them)? Here a few ways to start:

1. Make a list

Making a list lets you see how much you want to change or improve for yourself with the upcoming year. Writing it down also helps you organize your thoughts so you're not just leaving all these potential resolutions sloshing around your noggin'. By seeing what you want to work on for the New Year physically in front of you, you will be more likely to actually stick to it.

2. Don't put 300 resolutions on your list

Let's be real, whenever New Year's creeps around, you tell yourself a million different things you are going to stick with in order to better yourself. DON'T DO THAT. You're basically setting yourself up for failure. You're only human, so while you may want to change a lot in your life, you realistically can't change EVERYTHING!!! Instead, opt for two or three important goals or maybe one super in-depth challenge for yourself. Not only will you feel more sane as opposed to looking at a list of hundreds of problems you see in your life, but you will also be more likely to stick to your goals with the fewer you have.

3. Forgive yourself

It's not easy to reflect on yourself and how much you want to improve as a person, let alone actually trying to do it. So please, don't be so hard on yourself!! If you don't stick to your resolutions, IT IS OKAY. The fact you tried in the first place is reason enough to be proud of yourself. Pick yourself up and try again; just because the New Year is once a year doesn't mean you can't make resolutions for yourself at any other point throughout the year!

There is so much pressure at this time of year to "better" yourself and become this person you have always hoped to be. While striving to grow and improve as a person is important, it's also just as important to not lose sight of yourself and the amazing qualities that make you who you are. If you try and don't succeed, don't beat yourself up. The good thing about New Year's? You can try again every year.