How To Ruin Everything Essays: A Book Review

A book of stories filled with funny titles and witty remarks

471
TubeFilter

George Watsky's book, How To Ruin Everything Essays, is one of the most brilliantly written books I have ever read.

This book of essays is a "sharp and humorous debut" according to the back of the book description.

Each chapter is a different story filled with statements that you literally laugh out loud at because he describes certain things in ways that are brutally honest and hysterically true.

I decided to buy this book for a few reasons:

One, I have been listening to Watsky for a little over a year now. The content of his songs are so inspiring and the fact that he wrote a book made me really happy because I get to read something from a musician that I absolutely adore.

Two, I am always supportive of any type of artist--musician, writer, poet--who loves what they do and when their content has an inspiring, comedic, and honest message individually and all at the same time.

Lastly, I knew this book was going to be a success when he announced it. He's one of the best word dancers (which is another term for poet) I've ever listened to.

There's no doubt that I loved this book from beginning to end, but I'd like to point out a few chapters that stood out to me and were either heartbreakingly beautiful, comedically satire, and [or] a story that was really fun to read.

Crying & Baseball

Watsky tells the story about the classic father and son spending time together, but also the bond between with his dad and his best friend. They were the kind of best friends that reminded you of Pikachu and Charizard, Rory and Lane, Lizzie McGuire and Gordo and many other dynamic duos. All three of them love baseball and whenever went to a baseball game, it was always one of their favorite bonding moments. While reading this chapter, I felt like I was shot by a bullet of an unexpected tragedy that is heartbreak. Watsky shines light on what an unexpected death of a loved one and best friend due to an unnoticed mental illness can have everyone be at a loss of words for.

Tusk

This story is exactly what it sounds like--about a tusk. Watsky's friend, Jackson, wanted to drive up to Denver to celebrate his great aunt June's birthday. Aunt June was quite the unique character that you find in fun stories; a lover of anything taxidermy, exotic, and someone with a huge imagination. There was one gift that Jackson thought of. Wait for it--A TUSK! But not just any tusk, a narwhal tusk. It sounds crazy (and it is), but both Jackson and Watsky both go on a roadtrip to pick up this tusk. I found it to be the kind of story that you laugh about now (even after it just happened) and for the rest of your life. It's one of those kinds of tales that you tell when someone asks you, "do you have any crazy, funny, and odd stories to tell?", in which you reply with this one time, we went all the way across the country to pick up a birthday gift." I found myself having a few laughs and enjoying the content with a huge smile on my face.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book a lot. These two are my favorite stories in the book, but all of them are filled with metaphorically genius statements that you'll find yourself "nodding your head in wonder and recognition" as said by Lin-Manuel Miranda when he put his review on the front of the book. This was a great book to start reading again, because I sure missed reading a lot. I highly recommend it to anyone who's looking for a comedy and epiphany filled book of stories that reminds you of how much fun reading is. If you don't know who Watsky is, this is also a good introduction to his writing style as well.