The only constant in life is that things are never constant. Life is always changing; you are always changing.

You're not in the same place you were five years ago, and that's a good thing. With change comes acceptance of who you are at your core. Your style, sense of humor, friend group, likes and dislikes might adjust over time, but with this comes a clearer understanding of who you are.

Recently, a good friend of mine came out to me. It was something they had been grappling with for several months, and they were doing it alone. Telling me took courage and a leap of faith. They knew, deep down, that I was the kind of friend who would love them no matter what, but there was a tiny bit of fear that left them in doubt.

Would I be uncomfortable around them? Would I look at them differently?

No and no.

I may not be a part of the LGBTQ+ community, but the way I see it: It's my job as a person to bring as much love and understanding into this world as possible.

I felt so honored that I was one of the first people my friend shared this with. It's who they are, and they're now in the process of owning that.

You can understand, of course, when I heard about someone else they considered a close friend completely disrespecting their decisions. It wasn't that my friend came out. No, this person was happy and told them they ought to be proud. So proud, in fact, that they needed to come out to their family immediately, even though they were still processing this themselves. This "friend" bashed them, practically commanding them on how to live their life.

Let's make something clear right now: If you aren't the one coming out, it's none of your business.

You get no say in how someone else carries themselves or how they reveal this part of themselves to anyone besides you. You have zero rights in telling them how to feel or to make them feel guilty for their decisions. Chances are, they know what's best for them and their mental health without you telling them how to live their life.

If you had something in your life you were coming to terms with, you probably wouldn't want to listen to other people tell you how to handle that information. I guarantee you they didn't trust you with this conversation only to listen to you lecture or judge them.

Whether or not you agree with someone's lifestyle choice, it's none of your business. It doesn't affect your life and it certainly doesn't hurt you, so it shouldn't affect how well you treat them.

If you choose to judge a person on their sexuality, that doesn't make you right. It makes you cold and unempathetic. You've shown the world that when given the opportunity to show another human being love, you chose not to.