How To Recover From A Breakup

How To Recover From a Breakup

Because breakups are a painful experience.

157
How To Recover From a Breakup
Photo by Jure Širić

Breakups are something almost everyone has to encounter at least once in their lives. No matter how perfect you think a relationship may be, situations can occur, or people can change, which can result in the split between what seems to be the most perfect couples. I'm here to tell you that you are going to be okay and that you will overcome these challenges.

Believe me, at first you might think that you won't be okay. At first, you may feel, shocked like "wow this is really over," or say things to yourself like, "why is this happening to me?" The first thing you have to do is let it all out. Most individuals experience what I like to call the "wallow phase," where all you want to do is lay in bed and eat ice cream. But you have to accept that it's over and move on. Know that you're going to be okay. Before you got into this relationship, you were single and happy. You were your own person living your own life. Now, you get the chance to learn how to be single and love yourself again.

I couldn't stress this enough. For me, the best things to do is to keep myself busy. I like to do this by hanging out with friends, working, reading, blogging, and going out to have a good time as a single gal again. If you are down, hurt, or uncertain, don't turn to the one you were once with. Doing this will make you look weak, and will just turn out poorly. Instead, talk to your best friends, your parents, or other family members. The great thing about family and friends is they're always there for you.

The next step is to slowly cut off connections. If your relationship ended poorly, then honestly, blocking them is probably the best thing to do. But if things ended mutually, or due to timing or the struggles of long distance, then cut off connections slowly. If you have to unfollow because that makes you feel stronger, or you keep glancing at there profile pic, then it's okay to do so.

Every person is different, and for me, I prefer to end things on good terms with people, but sometimes you can't control the situation. Maybe someday you could be friends again, but give it time. You can't just expect to go from lovers to friends in a heartbeat; that's just impossible.

Take time to be single and reinvent yourself. Don't rush into a new relationship. You need time to figure yourself out before you can love someone else.

"You can't love someone else if you don't love yourself."

So take the time you need, whether it's a month or a year, whatever you feel you need to be alone. Reinvent yourself and rediscover your passions. Something I recommend is working out and spending time with friends. Also, treat yourself by getting a manicure or going on a shopping spree.

When you feel happy again after taking some time to be single and figuring out the new you, maybe you'll realize there's a great guy out who will be for you. Once you learn to love yourself and live your life again, then you'll be ready for the right guy.