8 Ways To Get Over 'Gymtimidation' On A College Campus
Wellbeing

The gym isn't so scary once you overcome the initial intimidation.

372

The gym can be a scary place, especially for those who have never worked out on their own before. Add in college-aged kids who all seemingly know what they're doing, and the gym can be a nightmare. Gymtimidation is a real issue that can prevent people from getting the most out of a workout, so here are some tips to overcome this fear.

Choose the right time to go.

If you are going to the gym on your college campus for the first time and already feel intimidated, go at a time when the gym isn't busy. This is usually first-thing in the morning, around lunch, or very late at night. Yes, these times may be inconvenient, but fewer people will be there to see you hopelessly stare at a machine before figuring it out. You can also take this time to tour the gym and get used to the setup.

Get your first time at the gym out of the way.

Your gymtimidation will only get worse the longer you wait. If you're afraid of looking clueless or lost, just remember, you will only look this way once! And odds are, no one noticed, and if they did, you'll probably never see them again.

Go with a friend.

Nothing is better than a gym buddy to workout with, especially when developing a new workout routine. This will encourage you both to go and will make you forget about your gymtimidation.

Start with classes.

Fitness classes at the gym can be an easy and fun way to get used to working out, without having to do it completely on your own. There are tons of classes to choose from at different times throughout the day, which makes it more convenient to fit in with your class schedule.

Make a fire playlist.

One of the best ways to hype up a workout is to put in your headphones and listen to your favorite songs. If you're in the zone from the music, you won't even notice anyone else.

Wear a hat.

While this may seem strange, wearing a hat is almost like an invisibility cloak. You can see people if you want to look up, but once you look down it's as if no one is there! A hat keeps me super focused at the gym, especially when entering the free weight zone. It can also be a stylish accessory to amp up your outfit.

Ask questions.

While your college gym or recreational center may not have trainers walking around, there are student employees who are trained to help you with any questions or concerns you may have. It's what they're there for, so use them to your advantage.

Just do it!

It's all in your head. Once you overcome this fear of the gym, going to work out will be so much easier and more enjoyable. Remember that no one is actually looking at what you're doing or judging you. You made it to the gym and that's all that matters!

The gym may seem like a scary place, but it doesn't have to be anymore! After getting over any initial intimidation, the gym can become one of the best places to relieve stress and free your mind from any worries you may have. It may take more than one trip to the gym to overcome gymtimidation, but it's never too late to start!