How To Not Fall Off Rainbow Road

How To Not Fall Off Rainbow Road

1123
How To Not Fall Off Rainbow Road
FatalitySonic2 Deviant Art

There you are, having a grand ole time hanging out with your friends, when someone suggests you all play Mario Kart. Sure, why not? You're here for a good time and a little friendly (maybe not so friendly) competition is a good way to achieve that. You're a few races in, feeling a bit of a sugar high from all the snacks you've been stuffing in your mouth, and then it happens.

Some sadistic butt munch picks the next race to be on Rainbow Road.

You panic. You get annoyed. Your hands start to get a little clammy as you realize your winning streak is about to be decimated because some cynical bone head wanted to see everyone fall of the track a hundred times.

But no. You sit up straighter, set down your now warm soda can, squeeze the controller a little harder. No, Rainbow Road will not get the best of you this time. You make a quick plan of attack, figure out your options. The timer starts up. 3, you lean a little closer. 2, your fingers hover, poised to shoot forward. 1, almost there... Go!

Okay, so if you are anything like me, Rainbow Road is the bane of your existence, especially when played on the wii because, let's be real, those controllers are more sensitive than a tween in junior high school. Pair that with Rainbow Road, and you are basically guaranteed to fall off.

BUT! You don't have to! I've done some research just for you, and I've found some tips and tricks more skilled players have advised people do in order to not fall off Rainbow Road. Here are a few ways to maximize your Rainbow Road experience!

1. Learn how to drift!

The consensus throughout the online Mario Kart community seems to be that learning how to drift is how you will succeed at Rainbow Road. If you don't know, drifting (for wii) is when you hold down B while turning. (You have to be on manual mode first however.) Because there are so many tight turns in Rainbow Road, you have to learn how to be a skilled drifter. Practice on other tracks before trying this on Rainbow Road though!

2. Use the mini boosts to your advantage!

So in Mario Kart you get these little mini boosts that shoot you forward really fast for a second or two. It is achieved by drifting until blue sparks appear and then you release the drift to get the boost. According to some fans, those mini boosts are important because when you use them they shoot you straight forward in the direction your kart is facing. This means that it can straighten out your turns and keep you on the track, which is the whole goal. Be careful where you use this method though because it may just shoot you straight off the track. (Below is what the sparks and boost look like.)

3. Use the right character/vehicle!

Everyone seems to agree that the character and vehicle you chose will make a difference in how well you will do on Rainbow Road. From my research, I've noticed that the majority of people like to use Funky Kong with Flame Runner (combo pictured below). Apparently this combo is the best because it has great drift and can take turns well. It's at least worth a try if it will help you not fall off the track.

4. Go Slow

When in doubt, just take your time to concentrate. Go slow. The rest of the players are going to be speeding ahead, eventually lose control, and ultimately fall off the track. But you, smart racer, are going to be taking those turns safely and responsibly, and when you coast on by them as they are being pulled back onto the track by the ghost thing, it will become clear who the smart racer truly is. Slow and steady wins the race, right? Or, in this case, slow and steady keeps you from falling off Rainbow Road.

Did this help? Probably not, because let's be honest here, NOBODY RACES ON RAINBOW ROAD WITHOUT FALLING OFF! If you can do it, then you have probably sold your soul to a demon or something because you have a talent that does not exist in humans naturally. Sorry dear reader, but unfortunately for you and I, Rainbow Road is just going to be an impossible-to-not-fall-off track.

But in consolation, there will always be someone worse at playing Rainbow Road than you. Trust me, I live with her, and she agrees with me.