How To Make This Semester Your Best One Yet

Kick this semester's butt!

29
Buzzfeed

With classes starting soon and emails from future teachers flooding your inbox, it's time to start thinking about the upcoming semester. This can be super stressful, especially coming off a break full of Netflix binges and no responsibilities. Here's how to go into your semester with a clear head and make it your best one yet!

1.Organize your life

Where would I be without my Lilly planner? Probably somewhere having a mental breakdown. Seriously though, the easiest way to stay on top of things is to get organized. Write stuff in your planner and make to-do lists and schedules. It's so much easier to find time for everything when it's all laid out in front of you, and you won't feel as overwhelmed. Here are two websites that I use to stay on top of things during school: freecollegeschedulemaker, kanbanflow

2.Prioritize

I know that finishing that last season of "Grey's Anatomy" and squeezing in a nap before your homework are super important, but they can wait until after all your work is done! You'll be a lot less stressed out once your work is done, and you'll be able to enjoy your free time without a weight on your shoulders. The things that are most important to you (school, activities, and friends) should always come before Netflix and naps.

3. Try something new

A great way to make your semester worthwhile is to try something new that you're completely unfamiliar with. Whether it be community service, a club sport, or Greek life, college is a wonderful opportunity to branch out and discover new things. Maybe you'll decide that it's not for you, or maybe you'll end up finding something that you're really passionate about. You'll never know if you don't give it a try!

4.Actually go to the library

Find a chunk of your schedule that's clear and schedule in time to got to the library! Fit it into your schedule so that it becomes a daily routine. And when you're at the library actually do your work instead of catching up with all your friends! There will be plenty of time for that later. Keeping up with your schoolwork means that you won't be up all night working on projects and writing last-minute papers. You'll thank yourself come finals week when you aren't trying to learn an entire semester's worth of information.

5.Be less dependent on technology

Spend less time on your phone and more time being present! Enjoy your free time by catching up with friends or reading a good book. Scrolling through social media takes up a good chunk of time and if you aren't careful, you'll find that you've wasted away your free time on your phone!

6. Set reasonable goals

Most of us go into the semester thinking I'm going to get a 4.0 GPA, land an internship that kicks butt, do 100 hours of community service, and train for a marathon. While it's important to have goals for yourself, having unreasonable goals will just lead to giving up and giving in to the C's get degrees mindset. Set goals that you can achieve with hard work and effort and not ones that require superhuman abilities.

7.Make time for the gym

College is probably the only time in your life when you'll have a free gym membership and plenty of time to get there. If you make it a habit to go to the gym now, it'll be easier to stay in shape after college when you get a job and actually have to schedule it into your day. Plus going to the gym is a great way to relieve stress and take a study break (and burn of some of the calories from your late-night trips to Insomnia Cookies and Taco Bell).

8. Put some effort into your appearance

I know it's super easy (and comfortable) to show up to class in sweatpants and a T-shirt with minimal makeup. However, putting a little effort into the way you look can go a long way. Throwing on a pair of jeans and a little bit of mascara will make you feel good about yourself and make it seem like you *gasp* have your life together! Even the worst days are better with a cute outfit and fun lipstick!

9.Find a reason to smile every day

So every day might not be the best. There will probably be days when you're so overwhelmed by school and all you want to do is take a nap and eat ice cream. Try to find a reason to smile, even on bad days. Learn to appreciate and smile about little things like the nice weather or the person who held the door for you while your hands were full. Smile because of frozen yogurt and fresh air and the fact that you got out of class 15 minutes early. If you find a reason to smile over the little things, then even the worst days aren't all that bad.

10.Get enough sleep

Nothing is worse than running on no sleep. Sleep is really important for being able to focus in class and while studying. Get into the habit of going to bed at a reasonable hour, and you'll have so much more energy during the day. I always complained that I wasn't a morning person and that early classes were the worst. Then I realized I wasn't going to bed early enough. Now that I do, I love getting up early and getting classes out of the way in the morning.

11. Have fun!

Yes school work is important and it can be overwhelming at times, but it's college! Don't forget to go out and enjoy yourself while you're young! Having perfect grades and a perfectly organized life can be boring sometimes. So let loose and enjoy yourself on the weekends; you deserve it!