How To Make A New Space Your Own

How To Make A New Space Your Own

Make any place feel like home.

33
How To Make A New Space Your Own
Pixel Grade

As the end of the semester approaches, so does the end to some of our living quarters. In college, it's hard to to find a place we can call home, especially since we are constantly moving, changing and growing, leaving a place we learned how to ride a bike to a place we have to learn quantum physics and memorize the AP Style Handbook. There wasn't a slow, easy transition into our new world; it was like slamming into a brick wall and then being expected to scale it and make it to the other side with no problem. While life throws things at us that we just can't seem to get a grip on, we can control how we feel, starting with a place that feels like home. So, to help ease your way into that new space you're renting for the next 12 months, here are a few tips to make the place more welcoming.

1. Tons and TONS of light

Whether it's opening the blinds, getting a couple of extra reading lamps, or hanging year-round Christmas lights, light, especially natural lighting, provides you with that open-arms kind of feeling. How can you be sad when everything is seemingly smiling at you as soon as you walk in the room?

2. Get a plant (or seven)

I have a decent number of plants that make me so happy every time I come home and see them. Watering them is so relaxing and I feel so refreshed after replanting and repotting them. Plants are just little friends that are always there for you, plus you get the extra benefit of a little more oxygen.

3. Layers of blankets and pillows

Everyone wants to come home from a long day at work or school (or both for all you poor souls) and just crash. I have about three blankets and four pillows on my bed and every time I lie down, I feel like I'm in a comfort-coma. Everyone deserves that, and there's no way you won't feel a little at piece in a bed full of fluff.

4. Pictures of family, friends and good memories

We live in a digital age where everything is on our phones and the internet, but it doesn't hurt to have a physical copy of those good nights or that trip to the beach hanging on your wall. You can reminisce and smile about what has happened in your life, feeling like even though you may be alone in your room, your loved ones will always be right there next to you.

5. Sound system for music

Good tunes equal good vibes. Being able to come home and plug in your iPod, phone, record player, whatever it is, can you give you a sense of familiarity and privacy. It's just you, some jams and four walls.

It's hard to move from one place to the next, especially as a college student with so many other things on our plate. Making your space feel like your own, feel like home, can make life a little easier. We all need somewhere we can break down, laugh, dance, cry, scream, think. We all need a place to just be, so might as well make that place your own.