How To Live With Your Best Friend (And Not Kill Each Other)

So no one told you life was gonna be this way (when you live with your BFF)

115
The Huffington Post

Living with your best friend sounds so wonderful. You both have so much in common that things could never go wrong, right? Well, in an ideal world you two would never fight over space, whether to have the lights on/off, and when to have people over. Unfortunately, this rarely happens. There is no perfect living situation because everyone grows up differently and each person is accustomed to their own habits. When it comes to incorporating your lifestyle with your BFFs, take some advice:

1. Communicate.

This first piece of advice may seem, well, obvious. However, communication is how to deal with EVERYTHING. It may be so scary to discuss problems in the beginning of the year, but it can make life a lot easier. If you see dirty clothes piling up around your side of the room, bring it up to your roommate or else it could continue to happen. Just talking about things that bother you can help bring you two closer.

2. Write a roommate agreement and stick to it.

Get your RA to sign off on it to to make it more official. Talk about household chores like washing dishes, taking out the trash, storing food, and vacuuming the common areas.

3. Give each other space when you need it.

Spending time together is truly the best part about being roommates, but even the best of friends need their own space every so often. If your roommate wants to have some alone time, don't think she is ignoring you! She probably needs to have some quality "me" time.

4. Don't take your roommate's food unless you ask for permission.

That steak your roommate just spent hours slaving over?? Yeah, she may not want to find it half-eaten on her way home from class...

5. Be equals. Keep things attitude-free.

More than likely you two come from similar backgrounds as you enter college, so don't think you have the right to become the boss over your new roommate. Being nice to each other is the best way to go about living together in your small dorm.

6. Embrace each other's quirks.

We all have them, so don't think you're the only one who considers herself to be weird. The more you open up the better your relationship will be with your roommate.

7. Ask each other for permission to invite people over. And set a time for them to leave.

Say you have a huge exam the next day but your roommate really wants her friend to come over for dinner. If you think it's a good idea, let her know that her friend should leave at a certain time so you can prepare for extra studying and getting plenty of rest. This reduces the awkwardness of kicking someone out.

8. Use headphones.

Unless you both decide to clean, using headphones is a respectful way to keep the noise down! If you want to be Beyonce, be Beyonce together and use a speaker for extra volume.

9. Go the extra mile and do something your roommate loves to do.

Find events to go to together! I FSU hosts tons of free events like concerts, comedians, and therapy dogs for finals week. Even if you don't like dogs and your roommate loveeees dogs, just going with her to be a friend gives you serious brownie points!

10. Pick your battles wisely. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Just because you have a small argument doesn't mean your friendship is done forever (like Patrick Dempsey is on Grey's Anatomy, R.I.P). Take advice from Meredith here and lean on your best friend for help throughout your college stay. You two were friends in the beginning and as long as you both learn to communicate and talk things out you can stay that way for years to come.