How to Keep From Drowning

How to Keep From Drowning

When life gets tough, we can make it through

6
How to Keep From Drowning

As a college student who lives on her own and works to pay her bills, I know what its like to feel like you are drowning in life. I have been there, felt wave after wave of things to do, and no apparent way of finishing them all off. Well here I am to tell you that you can find a lifeline, and you have to.

There are a few things that can be done to keep yourself from sinking under the waves. Just keep in mind that most of these will make you feel unproductive for a time, but you need to know that it may not be helping your stack of homework, but it is helping your mental sanity.

1. Find a Creative Outlet

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F11%2F13%2F636146479470307070-174879333_omega_institute_find_your_creative_outlet.jpg%3Fitok%3Dv9JTgVnM&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=549&h=af484b940b4d2ad0d06df92f69169bf45dac056579e0b90bcf5ea3c2149421d2&size=980x&c=4273315370 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F11%252F13%252F636146479470307070-174879333_omega_institute_find_your_creative_outlet.jpg%253Fitok%253Dv9JTgVnM%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D549%26h%3Daf484b940b4d2ad0d06df92f69169bf45dac056579e0b90bcf5ea3c2149421d2%26size%3D980x%26c%3D4273315370%22%7D" expand=1 original_size="1x1"]

Whether that be writing, painting, drawing, or anything of the sort, it is very important to have an outlet of some sort. The old phrase "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" does hold some truth.

2. Sleep

This one is scientifically proven to be true. You need sleep in order to function. Sleep in for once, go to bed early, or even take a good long nap during the day. Your body needs the time it is asleep to rejuvenate itself.

3. Be strategic with "yes" and "no."

I am unable to say no to someone when I can see the look on their face. My boss wants me to stay at work an extra hour, sure. Can I help tutor a girl for an hour every week? Why not. Well heres the thing, we cant do everything, and you cannot let yourself get walked all over.

4. Take a day to be a fun day

You have to be able to have a day with no responsibilities. I know this may be hard when you have to work or have school, but you have to have a day to yourself, preferably once a week.

5. Spend time with your friends/family

We have those people we love and care about, and we have to be sure to not shut them out because we are "too busy". They are the most important step to keeping yourself from drowning, let them hold you up, let them be your life raft.