Ways Those With Disabilities Can Contribute To The Black Lives Matter Movement

There's more to do than just protesting

14

It can be incredibly frustrating to be disabled during such a state of unrest in this country. Many wish that they were able to get involved with and positively contribute to the Black Lives Matter movement. It's easy to think that the only way you can contribute is through protesting. However, many of us may be unable to protest whether it be due to lack of wheelchair access, avoiding crowds because of a suppressed immune system, post-traumatic stress disorder or anxiety that could be could be exacerbated by the loud noises and possible police presence, etc. The disabled community shouldn't be ashamed of that and we shouldn't allow others to shame for it. There are still plenty of ways that those with disabilities can positively contribute to the Black Lives Matter movement without compromising their own health or well-being.

Donate 

If you are in a place financially where you are able to donate I urge you to. You will be making a difference no matter how much money you are able to donate. A few places you could donate would be George Floyd's family GoFundMe page that was made by his brother to help with funeral expenses and such, the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, the ACLU and the ACLU of Minnesota, etc.

Watch donation videos

If you are unable to contribute financially then consider taking the time to watch donation videos on YouTube. When you stream these videos 100% of the ad revenue will be donated directly to organizations such as the NAACP. Most of these videos are entertaining and feature various art forms presented by black artists. If anything, just mute the video and let it play all the way through.

Educate yourself

As people with disabilities, we tend to understand oppression and inequality better than others because we have personally experienced it some point. However, we cannot allow ourselves to think that oppression the disabled community faces is in anyway comparable to what the black community faces. We must hold ourselves accountable and take action by educating ourselves on the struggles the community faces that we may have never thought about. Consider reading books such as "So You Want To Talk About Race" by Ijeoma Oluo, "They Can't Kill Us All" by Wesley Lowery, "Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race" by Renni Eddo-Lodge, "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness" by Michelle Alexander. Watch shows such as "When They See Us" on Netflix which tells the story of the Central Park Five, "Dear White People" also on Netflix, or the Netflix documentary "13th" which teaches about the U.S. Justice System through the lens of the 13th amendment.

Sign Petitions 

The point of petitions is educate and recruit others for a particular cause. There is a large array of petitions to choose from but consider starting by signing Raise the Degree, Arrest The Other Three, #JusticeforBre, and Justice for Ahmaud Arbery.

Make signs, masks, etc. for the protesters 

If you are crafty consider contacting the protest organizers and ask if you could make and donate signs to carry during the protests. If you are able you could also make masks for protesters to wear to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Just because people are out protesting doesn't mean that the virus has disappeared and that the global pandemic is over. If you live in a larger city with larger protests please consider donating milk, water, or medical supplies for the protesters as well.

Drive by and show your support

Even if you are unable to personally attend the protests you could still show support and solidarity with the protesters by driving by and honking to show support or parking near the protest with signs.

Support local black owned businesses 

By supporting local black owned businesses you are helping to close the racial wealth gap, celebrate black culture and communities, strengthening local economies, creating new jobs for the community, and holding other companies accountable during these times.