How To Go Through Sorority Recruitment With An Olivia Pope Attitude

Go in like the gladiator you are.

15
NY Daily News

With sorority recruitment starting at schools, the nerves are setting in for girls across the country. Some may have their heart set on a certain one, while others have no idea where they will end up, or better yet- if they will receive a bid. Rush is infamously known for tearing apart a girl's confidence, but luckily there is someone here to help. And what better bold figure is there to come to the rescue than the extraordinary Olivia Pope? Played as the main character in Scandal, Olivia is a total boss and tells things like it is. Here's how to go through rush with an Olivia Pope attitude:

1. Don't let anyone make a judgment about a sorority for you.

When going through recruitment, it is so easy to discuss different sororities with your friends and get caught up in which ones are "good" and which ones are not. Don't be a follower; decide for yourself which ones feel like the right fit before completely blurring them out.

2. Have fun and relatable conversations.

Even though talking about your major can spark common interests, don't be that boring person that goes through the run of the mill topics like "your love for football games" or how "pizza is the best thing ever." It's OK to tell the girl rushing you what a long day its been and just have a normal, informal conversation. You are probably both exhausted so just be easy to talk to and pretend as if she's your friend!

3. Rejection is hard, but acceptance is so much easier.

You'll probably hear this 100 times, but it's so true: why would you want a sorority who didn't want you? It's a brutal, cutthroat process but in the end you have to accept that everything happens for a reason and that something good will come from this. It's easy for people to focus more on the sororities they get back and less on who they would actually fit in with. If the sorority didn't want you, it's their loss.

4. If things don't turn out as planned, you are still in control of your own destiny.

Didn't get your top choice? Give your other options a chance. Not happy with any of your options? Drop out of rush if that's the best choice for you. Just because the sororities are in charge of who they keep and who they cut doesn't mean you don't have the power to stay or go. Even as things keep changing, you still have the ball in your court.

5. Always remember to just do you.

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it- it's gonna be a long, hard, emotionally stressful week. But is it worth it? For some it is. The most important thing to remember is to focus on what's best for you. There are no wrong decisions when it comes to rush. Just be willing to put yourself out there and see what you get back in return. No matter what happens at recruitment, go in with an Olivia Pope attitude and slay it.