How To Give A Great Speech

How To Give A Great Speech

Public speaking will no longer be your number one fear.

59
How To Give A Great Speech
YouTube

You've probably heard that public speaking is some people's number one fear. How is speaking in front of an audience feared more than death? Standing in front of a large group of people can cause anxiety and fear of ostracism. I used to get nervous when giving speeches, but after taking multiple communication classes, I absolutely love public speaking. I love it so much that I decided to write this article for those of you who fear getting up in front of people. You're welcome.

I want you to feel prepared for any speeches you may give in the future. No more sweaty palms and no more nervous breakdowns. Here's how to give a great speech without crying yourself to sleep the night before.

1. Plan

What is your topic? What point are you trying to get across to your audience? Are you trying to persuade them to do or buy something? Are you telling them a story? Answer these questions and you're on your way to developing your speech. Once you have your topic, make sure it is applicable to your audience. You wouldn't give a speech about retirement homes to a group of teenagers.

Introduction

Once you have your relevant topic, you want to lay everything out. In your introduction, start with a hook -- something that grabs everyone's attention. This could be a skit, quote, video, scream, etc. Reel them in! Make sure to introduce yourself and let them know what you will be talking about: "Today, I will be discussing A, B and C." The beginning of your speech is where you establish your credibility, also known as ethos. This is one of the three pillars of public speaking. You want to dress well and not look like you just rolled out of bed. When you have strong ethos, it shows your audience that you are trustworthy and that you are an expert on the topic you're discussing. Remember: you want your ethos to last even after you give your speech. So if you give a speech about how smoking cigarettes is bad for people's health, don't light one up when you sit back down.

Body Paragraphs

Next, you have your body paragraphs. One for A, one for B and one for C. Logos, the second pillar of public speaking, is your logical argument and is critical to your success. You will want to use statistics, data, quotes from reliable sources and anything that supports your main points. Don't forget to orally cite these sources. Throw in some visual aids -- if you include diagrams or charts, make sure they're simple and easy to understand for your audience. Try to involve your audience by asking them questions or having them participate in an activity. This will keep them awake and attentive. You can also use pathos, the third pillar of public speaking, for an emotional appeal. Want to tug on your audience's heart strings? Include visuals that evoke feelings. Photos or videos of animals, children and families are very common for evoking feelings of compassion and love.

Conclusion

Lastly, wrap it up. Go over your main points again to summarize your speech: "I have discussed A, B and c with you today ..." Also, tell them why it matters. And don't forget to end on a positive note. You can end your speech with a quote, photo, video, etc. I ended my most successful speech with a Disney quote that the entire audience cheered with me --t his got me the loudest applause I've ever received. You want to make sure you end with a bang.

Once you have planned and written out your speech, you're ready for the next step:

2. Practice

I'm sure you've heard "practice makes perfect." Practice may not make your speech flawless, but you'll get pretty dang close. Read your speech aloud and make any notes on your paper. Once you're happy with the final product, practice in front of people. Whether it be in front of your parents, friends, classmates or co-workers, practicing in front of people gets you used to being in front of an audience. Project your voice when you practice for them so you're used to speaking loud enough for a crowd. Don't use filler words like "uh," "um," "so," etc. Also, time yourself. If you are supposed to speak for only five minutes, don't write a 30-minute long speech. Have someone time you so you know how long your speech is. And don't forget: repeat, repeat, repeat.

The next step to perfecting your speech is: looking good, AKA:

3. Body Language

Ursula from The Little Mermaid once said "Don't underestimate the importance of body language!" And you know what? She's right. If you are hunched over a podium and avoiding eye contact with your audience by reading straight from your paper, you have already lost their attention. Do you enjoy listening to monotone speakers who don't acknowledge your existence? Me neither. So don't do it to others. Try standing in front of the podium and using the space you're given. When you transition from one topic to another, cross the room. Stand tall and be confident --open your body up to the crowd by having good posture. Also, don't forget to make eye contact. Scan the room you're in and don't favor one side. If you only speak to the left side of the room, the right side will tune out. Add in a smile and you look like an inviting human. Congratulations.

The thought of public speaking may have made you cringe before you read this article. I used to get nervous before speaking publicly, but now I can say I have hosted speech workshops and have written an article about public speaking. If I can stand in front of an audience and not pass out, you can too.