7 Ways To Battle The Mid-Semester Slump... And Win

You're exhausted, but don't give up just yet.

9

College is really, really freaking hard.

And having to balance your classes, the clubs needed for grad school, a social life, cooking for yourself, laundry, and all of the other things that we, as young adults, have to do can seriously wear someone out.

It's truly difficult to not feel burnt out or that you're alone in your struggle. However, I promise you that you can do this and you're certainly not alone.

1. Remember how far you've come. 

I recently saw a quote that was talking about how years ago we were literally dreaming and we were so excited about being where we are now. I remember coming to Florida State football games in middle school and being truly excited about potentially going to school here. Now, we're in that place that we've always dreamed of being. We need to recognize that being in college was once our dream, we're living our dream. Make the most of your college experience -the way that 13-year-old you would want you to.

2. Remind yourself of your goals. 

Don't forget that you're not just doing the assignment to get it out of the way. You're doing this assignment to earn a good grade in the course in order to get your degree and go into the real world and crush it. We all have passions and career goals and that's why we're here -don't lose sight of that. Remember your goals. Remember why you're working hard.

3. Prioritize your schedule. 

Get things that are most important done first and worry about the little things later. Pick out your top priorities and stick with it (for example, your midterm is more important than getting ice cream). This part sucks honestly, but if you get the big things done early, then you end up having more time for the fun things.

4. Make a schedule and stick to it. 

Make a time schedule for yourself and stick to it in order to get all of your work done so you can have more time to relax.

5. Schedule time for yourself. 

Don't forget to schedule a time to rest, or to do something for yourself. Schedule one night a week to do a face mask or read your favorite book or go out with friends.

6. Don't let yourself become overloaded with responsibilities. 

If you need to say no to something, say no. Do not worry about other people's feelings if you will be hurting yourself in the process of helping said person. Check out this article to help you learn how to say "no."

7. If you feel too overwhelmed, seek professional help. 

If you seriously can't handle this by yourself, go seek professional help. Schedule an appointment with your school counseling center or another local counseling center.